Fashion 4Word: Hot Date Edition

Got a hot date this week? Your outfit can make or break the evening, and with Valentine’s Day weekend quickly approaching, there is no room for error. Unfortunately some students could use a little help. So what to wear? Try out some of these hot, classic looks to impress the object of your affection…

For a casual night on the town…

Ladies, this is not the time to break out your South Beach-worthy getup. High heels and a skin-tight dresses are not appropriate for a Wednesday night bowling date or night at the movies. Try pairing skinny jeans with leather boots for a look that is classic, but edgy. Make a statement with an easy-going, yet attention-commanding t-shirt. Then throw on a cardigan and you’re good to go.

Guys can get away with a lot with fashion. But gentlemen, if you want to get lucky, you’re going to have to put in a little more effort. Even if it’s just a low-key evening, wow your date with your classic style. When in doubt, channel Ralph Lauren. Polo shirts or crewneck sweaters are always good standbys; wear them with a well-fitting pair of jeans and there you go, instant effortless style (just make sure the shirt is clean, or else kiss your ‘mojo’ goodbye).

For a date that’s a little more formal…

Now that things have gotten more serious, it’s time for the long-awaited anniversary (or Valentine’s Day) date. Dressing for this type of occasion can send girls into a tizzy, but it’s always safe to err on the more formal side. Forgo jeans and a nice top for a cute dress that elegantly hugs your curves. Look sexy without revealing too much in sky-high heels; they instantly thin and elongate legs. Think Taylor Swift tasteful, not “Jersey Shore” gaudy.

Guys, whatever you do, don’t pull out the Ed Hardy. There is a time and a place for that style, and it is not on your hot date. Fold that t-shirt and put it back in your closet, instead opting for a nice button down and skinny tie. Roll up the sleeves, or take a cue from Taylor Lautner and pull off sports coat if you dare; but beware, you will attract women at an alarming rate. What girl can turn down a smoldering gaze and perfectly fitting suit?

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...