Fashion 4Word: Hot Date Edition

Got a hot date this week? Your outfit can make or break the evening, and with Valentine’s Day weekend quickly approaching, there is no room for error. Unfortunately some students could use a little help. So what to wear? Try out some of these hot, classic looks to impress the object of your affection…

For a casual night on the town…

Ladies, this is not the time to break out your South Beach-worthy getup. High heels and a skin-tight dresses are not appropriate for a Wednesday night bowling date or night at the movies. Try pairing skinny jeans with leather boots for a look that is classic, but edgy. Make a statement with an easy-going, yet attention-commanding t-shirt. Then throw on a cardigan and you’re good to go.

Guys can get away with a lot with fashion. But gentlemen, if you want to get lucky, you’re going to have to put in a little more effort. Even if it’s just a low-key evening, wow your date with your classic style. When in doubt, channel Ralph Lauren. Polo shirts or crewneck sweaters are always good standbys; wear them with a well-fitting pair of jeans and there you go, instant effortless style (just make sure the shirt is clean, or else kiss your ‘mojo’ goodbye).

For a date that’s a little more formal…

Now that things have gotten more serious, it’s time for the long-awaited anniversary (or Valentine’s Day) date. Dressing for this type of occasion can send girls into a tizzy, but it’s always safe to err on the more formal side. Forgo jeans and a nice top for a cute dress that elegantly hugs your curves. Look sexy without revealing too much in sky-high heels; they instantly thin and elongate legs. Think Taylor Swift tasteful, not “Jersey Shore” gaudy.

Guys, whatever you do, don’t pull out the Ed Hardy. There is a time and a place for that style, and it is not on your hot date. Fold that t-shirt and put it back in your closet, instead opting for a nice button down and skinny tie. Roll up the sleeves, or take a cue from Taylor Lautner and pull off sports coat if you dare; but beware, you will attract women at an alarming rate. What girl can turn down a smoldering gaze and perfectly fitting suit?

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...