Bring Tissues to ‘Dear John’

“Dear John” follows author Nicholas Sparks’s usual formula – lovers separated by war and the letters that keep them in touch – but it’s not “The Notebook.”

The film doesn’t shy away from the genre’s clichés: John (Channing Tatum), a 23-year-old on leave from the Army, first meets Savannah (Amanda Seyfried), a college student back home from spring break, when he rescues her purse from the ocean.

Once a problem child, John has turned over a new leaf. Savannah, on the other hand, doesn’t drink, smoke, curse or sleep around. After inviting him to her house for a town barbeque, the two talk for hours and John asks her to dinner. A montage of dates later, Savannah wants to meet his father.

Although “Dear John” has been advertised as a love story, its strength lies in its father/son relationship.

Richard Jenkins, who was nominated for an Oscar last year for his superb performance in the film “The Visitor” plays John’s father who may have autism.

It’s his character that truly connects John and Savannah more so than the sudden rain that traps the couple for their first kiss. The pair lives in bliss until John’s two-week vacation comes to a close. As John’s departure arrives, he promises to return when his tour is done. Unfortunately for him, that’s the cinema’s kiss of death.

Just when the audience thinks the film will continue down its predictable path, a huge plot twist turns everything upside down.

What differentiates “Dear John” from its counterparts is the ethical dilemma that suits the film’s tagline perfectly: Is duty enough reason to live a lie?

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...