Take it to the next level this Super Bowl weekend

Logo courtesy NFL

Miami is notorious for throwing celebrity-packed parties, and the events planned for South Florida’s 10th Super Bowl are no exception.

Starting tonight, the Pepsi Fan Jam concert series is going to kick into high gear with Justin Beiber and Rihanna performing on South Beach for free. The concert stage is on the sand by Eighth Street and gates open at 6:30 p.m. with the performances starting at 9 p.m. Even though the concert is free, tickets must be obtained through Ticketmaster. The concert will be broadcasted live on VH1.

If you can drag yourself out of bed on Friday, there are more free events before the big game. For those who want to make a difference, Habitat for Humanity is having a Helmet  for Homes Build Day. Work alongside NFL players in Fort Lauderdale at the inaugural “green build” site, located at 2224 NW 26 Street. The event starts at 8 a.m. and registration is online at www.habitatbroward.org.

After volunteering, the music continues in Miami with the Pepsi Musica Fan Jam concert, featuring Nelly Furtado, Paulina Rubio and Pitbull. The concert will be held at the same stage as the aforementioned Pepsi Fan Jam concert, and gates open at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for this free event are also available through Ticketmaster.

Kick off your weekend with a star-filled Saturday at the DIRECTV Celebrity Beach Bowl. Over 30 celebrities, including Taylor Lautner, Chace Crawford and Victoria’s Secret supermodel Marissa Miller, will be battling it out in a beach football game coached by Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez. Immediately following, there will be a post-game concert by the All American Rejects. This event is free and no tickets are required, so get there early. Gates open at 12:30 p.m. on Collins Avenue between 21st and 22nd Street in South Beach.

For the day of the big game, start in Brickell by going to the Finnegan’s on the River tailgate, hosted by MTV’s “Jersey Shore” personality, Snooki. The tailgate starts at 12 p.m. with live music and specials. The Grove will also be hosting watch parties, including UM favorites, Mr. Moe’s, Sandbar Bar and Grill. After the final touchdown, end your night at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino at an after party hosted by Ludacris.

With all these exciting events, Super Bowl weekend will be a highlight of spring semester; go out with a bang regardless of your football loyalties.

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Take it to the next level this Super Bowl weekend”

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...