Sports Briefs

Football:

Wednesday was national signing day and the Hurricanes brought a respectable and promising class in.  The Hurricanes upped their tally of commits to 22 today including 16 from Florida.  For up to the minute information regarding the recruits and the team visit www.hurricanesports.com.  In other news, the Hurricanes have acquired Kentucky’s Defensive Line Coach, Rick Petri to his second stint in Miami.  Coach Shannon said of Petri, “He brings a wealth of experience and has been very successful in developing some of the top defensive line talent in the country for years.”

Men’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes fell to the Demon Decons 62-53 on Tuesday night in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  They will travel to Tallahassee to take on the Seminoles this Saturday night at 8:00.

Men’s Tennis:

The 20th ranked Canes swept Northwestern this past Monday and they will look to continue their success against Rice University this Sunday.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...