Restrict the reach of TAs

We’re not always happy with our grades so sometimes we like to discuss these substandard scores with the source. Unfortunately, at the University of Miami, this often means chatting with the guy you just played in beer pong.

Teaching Assistants (TAs) can be very helpful in assisting with review groups and lessening professors’ workloads.

TAs should not, however, assess anything subjective; papers and Blue Book examinations should be off-limits and graded solely by the professor. Students have the right for their papers to be evaluated by the instructor hired by the university. A professor’s duty is to teach, not only to lecture. Students can learn a lot from the feedback they receive on their essays, and it should come from a qualified professor, not the girl down the hall.

It’s understandable that some classes are simply too large for the professor to read everyone’s essays. It’s unreasonable for students to be graded by other students, and it is doubly unjust that, in many cases, there are several TAs grading one class’ materials. In one class this semester, four different TAs are grading papers and in-class essays. Some students receive letter grades while others get number grades. Inconsistent grading leads to bewilderment and frustration.

For many students, grades are important. The letters lining our transcripts and the numbers that makes up our GPA encapsulates our university experience. TAs should not have the ability to influence these letters and numbers; especially since many internship programs, graduate schools and potential employers ask students to explain their records. Students at UM need to know that they will be evaluated by the instructor they sign up for during registration, not the kid standing behind them in line at the registrar’s office.

Pat Cunnane is a senior majoring in political science and journalism. He may be contacted at pcunnane@themiamihurricane.com.

Pat Cunnane

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...