Football ended, let the fun begin

This weekend will mark a sad event in the lives of all football fanatics. After watching the battling of two great quarterbacks in Super Bowl XLIV Sunday, the season is officially over.

Say goodbye to waking up at the crack of dawn to tailgate outside of Sun Life Stadium and driving 30 minutes down I-95 to arrive four hours before kickoff. It’s time to find some other way to make small talk other than, “how ‘bout those Canes?” and we’re all going to have to find a new reason to hate the University of Florida.

Though it may not seem like it now, life will go on, and all those football-free weekends are just waiting to be claimed by more creative activities.

Take a cue from the school’s old nickname, “Suntan U,” and hit the beach. If you have some extra spending money, then check out the cafés that line South Beach where the food is great and the people-watching is prime.

Looking for something more unusual? Take a three-day weekend and plan a road trip. Believe it or not, the state of Florida has more to offer than just Miami. Head south to Key West, or take the turnpike up to Orlando for some quality theme park time. Or, for the combination surfer/history buff within, head north to Saint Augustine, the oldest city in Florida with a reputation for great waves.

Still craving some sports action? The school does have more to offer than football. Basketball and baseball games are played on campus, automatically alleviating the headache that comes with a trek to Sun Life Stadium. Try something new and hit the Rat or Titantic before a game rather than tailgating.

And of course, there is the ever popular weekend activity, Club Richter. Use your newfound free time on the weekends to undo some of the damage all that tailgating and those after parties did to your GPA last semester.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...