Basketball

ACC road struggles continue

Bob Hebert // Old Black and Gold

The road woes in the ACC continue.

The Canes (16-6, 2-6) lost on Tuesday night, this time to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (15-5, 5-3), 62-53.

With the game on the line, the Hurricanes went cold and did not score on six straight possessions. Miami only scored one point during the final five and a half minutes.

Head coach Frank Haith was disappointed that his team went into a funk at the end of the game when it mattered the most.

“I thought we had a chance at the end of the game to make some plays,” said Haith, whose team has averaged more than 17 turnovers in their last four games. “We had open looks, we just didn’t make down the stretch. I thought if we were able to make those shots it would have given us a chance to put more pressure on Wake Forest.”

The Demon Deacons blew an early 17-point lead and the Hurricanes found themselves trailing at halftime 36-27. Miami made just two of their first 15 shots and had 10 turnovers in the first 14 minutes, and more importantly had no rhythm on offense.

“It was a slow ‘get-down 17,’” Haith said. “It wasn’t a knockout punch. It was gradual. Offensively we were stagnant, and their pressure bothered us a little bit. We stood around. We just didn’t make any shots.”

But the Hurricanes fought back throughout the second half and played with more intensity on defense.

Miami got as close as 55-52, after freshman guard Garrius Adams hit his third and final three-pointer of the game. From there nothing was falling in for the Canes.

The Hurricanes had a chance to make it a single point game but senior forward Adrian Thomas missed a wide-open three pointer.

Adams carried the Hurricanes with a career high 13 points and senior guard James Dews added 10 points but was 3-for-10 from the floor.

Haith believes his team was still fatigued from the battle with the Hokies just two days ago.

“It’s tough when you have the quick turnaround games,” said Haith, whose team will play five of its seven remaining games on there home court. “We just played Sunday, and then you have to travel. If we can hold it up until the schedule flips in our favor, we’ll be ok.”

But Haith has to get consistent play from each of his players. Senior forward Dwayne Collins was a non-factor against Wake Forest, the team dominated by tallying 23 points and 11 rebounds. Collins ended with five points, two rebounds, and five turnovers.

Sophomore guard Malcolm Grant also struggled against the Demon Deacons. Grant was held scoreless in 16 minutes of action and had three turnovers.

The Hurricanes have time to regroup, as they will travel to Tallahassee to face archrival Florida State this Saturday at 8 p.m.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...