Sports Briefs – Feb. 1

Women’s Tennis:

The #7 ranked Hurricanes swept Mississippi State on Sunday while Laura Vallverdu became UM’s all time singles wins leader.  The top ranked team has a big match against #5 Baylor this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Saturday at 11:00.

Women’s Basketball:

The Lady Canes lost a close game to the Eagles of Boston College this past weekend on the road.   The loss is their third in a row and they have a tough match-up at home on Thursday against a hot Tar Heel squad who are ranked 12th in the nation.  The game will be at the Bank United center at 7:00.

Track and Field:

The Hurricanes ran well and were commended by their director Amy Deem for their strong performance at Penn State’s National Invitational this past Saturday.  They have a 2 week break before their next meet at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Men’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes won on Sunday afternoon at the Bank United Center against the Virginia Tech Hokies and immediately hit the road for a 2 game road trip to play at Wake Forest and then at Florida State.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer