Sports Briefs – Feb. 1

Women’s Tennis:

The #7 ranked Hurricanes swept Mississippi State on Sunday while Laura Vallverdu became UM’s all time singles wins leader.  The top ranked team has a big match against #5 Baylor this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Saturday at 11:00.

Women’s Basketball:

The Lady Canes lost a close game to the Eagles of Boston College this past weekend on the road.   The loss is their third in a row and they have a tough match-up at home on Thursday against a hot Tar Heel squad who are ranked 12th in the nation.  The game will be at the Bank United center at 7:00.

Track and Field:

The Hurricanes ran well and were commended by their director Amy Deem for their strong performance at Penn State’s National Invitational this past Saturday.  They have a 2 week break before their next meet at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Men’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes won on Sunday afternoon at the Bank United Center against the Virginia Tech Hokies and immediately hit the road for a 2 game road trip to play at Wake Forest and then at Florida State.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...