SLIDESHOW: Swing for the Wishes

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=132″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

A celebrity softball tournament was held this Saturday to grant the wish of a child suffering from neurological seizures. The event was organized by WishMakers, a 501(c)3 recognized non-profit and student organization created by Jonathan Schrader to grant the wishes of children who suffer from life-threatening illnesses with the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of South Florida.

The event raised approximately $1,200 and approximately $8,000 has been raised in total. Celebrities attending were Maritza Correia (U.S. Olympic Medalist Swimmer) and her fiance Chad, Adam Ritter (U.S. Olympic Swimmer and multiple NCAA Record holder), Francia Raisa (from Bring It On: All Or Nothing and Secret Life of an American Teenager) and Tim Hardaway (former Miami Heat star).

The event was unique because of the interaction with the celebrities playing with everyone for 6 hours. Participants look forward to the second year of Swing for the Wishes in 2011 with the same celebrities returning.

Photos by Julia Ardila // The Miami Hurricane

Brittney Bomnin

Art Director

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...