SLIDESHOW: Swing for the Wishes

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=132″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

A celebrity softball tournament was held this Saturday to grant the wish of a child suffering from neurological seizures. The event was organized by WishMakers, a 501(c)3 recognized non-profit and student organization created by Jonathan Schrader to grant the wishes of children who suffer from life-threatening illnesses with the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of South Florida.

The event raised approximately $1,200 and approximately $8,000 has been raised in total. Celebrities attending were Maritza Correia (U.S. Olympic Medalist Swimmer) and her fiance Chad, Adam Ritter (U.S. Olympic Swimmer and multiple NCAA Record holder), Francia Raisa (from Bring It On: All Or Nothing and Secret Life of an American Teenager) and Tim Hardaway (former Miami Heat star).

The event was unique because of the interaction with the celebrities playing with everyone for 6 hours. Participants look forward to the second year of Swing for the Wishes in 2011 with the same celebrities returning.

Photos by Julia Ardila // The Miami Hurricane

Brittney Bomnin

Art Director

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...