Staff Editorial: Attendance policy unnecessary

The new standardized attendance policy is overly cumbersome. A system that makes students register absences on myUM at the start of the semester complicates a simple process.

What is wrong with students asking their teachers on a personal basis if they can miss class? Why does it have to involve an appeal process to either the student government affairs committee or its counterpart in the faculty senate?

While it is slightly annoying that some teachers take attendance and others do not, that is the teacher’s prerogative. Professors teach in different subjects in varying styles. Their opinion on the importance of attendance will probably be affected by these factors. If they do not think the reason a student is missing class is reasonable then that is their decision. It is insulting that a teacher’s assessment in their own classroom could be overturned by students or by their colleagues.

Further complicating this process is the large lecture class scenario. If students are continuously telling the teacher or teaching assistant  that they will be missing classes, this will be a large burden. Some teachers cannot even return e-mails in a timely fashion much less check every student’s absence excuses.

Even if this system does pass the faculty senate then it should be an optional system. If a teacher cares to have this information through a standardized process it is their choice. It does provide a convenient way to store this information.

On the other side of the argument are students. If a teacher is not making their class worthwhile, students should not have to attend it. If they are missing enough class  to make it detrimental to their grade, a student should have enough sense to talk to the teacher.

It is because of reasons that the faculty senate should not pass the proposed bill by student government.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...