The sorry state the union is in

We did the ritualistic dances, the chanting and the praying. We casted the Great W. Demon out and elected the almighty savior. He was unlike all those who had come before. He would bring a new kind of politics to Washington. He would lead us out of the quagmire in Iraq and expand health care coverage to millions of uninsured Americans. He stood in front of Greek columns.

Americans clearly erred in putting their faith in an individual who cited majoring in international relations at Columbia University as foreign policy experience. Obama’s lack of executive experience should have disqualified him from being an agency or department head. Nevertheless, the voters in their enduring wisdom declared him competent enough to hold the highest office in the land.

The Obama camp’s winning argument… John F. Kennedy. They expected voters to ignore the fact that Kennedy served a full Senate term and three House terms compared to Obama’s incomplete Senate term. Voters also didn’t consider the reality that the role of Chief Executive has grown exponentially more complex and consequential.

There can no longer be doubt. Obama’s presidency is marked by its failures more than its successes. Despite possessing remarkable reserves of political capital at the outset of his presidency, Obama has failed to bring about the positive change he promised in his campaign. Not only could Obama not convince politicians in Washington to stop playing their “politics as usual” game, he’s demonstrated that his political gaming skills match his bowling skill: at the level of the “Special Olympics or something.”

Josh Kornfield is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at  jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...