The sorry state the union is in

We did the ritualistic dances, the chanting and the praying. We casted the Great W. Demon out and elected the almighty savior. He was unlike all those who had come before. He would bring a new kind of politics to Washington. He would lead us out of the quagmire in Iraq and expand health care coverage to millions of uninsured Americans. He stood in front of Greek columns.

Americans clearly erred in putting their faith in an individual who cited majoring in international relations at Columbia University as foreign policy experience. Obama’s lack of executive experience should have disqualified him from being an agency or department head. Nevertheless, the voters in their enduring wisdom declared him competent enough to hold the highest office in the land.

The Obama camp’s winning argument… John F. Kennedy. They expected voters to ignore the fact that Kennedy served a full Senate term and three House terms compared to Obama’s incomplete Senate term. Voters also didn’t consider the reality that the role of Chief Executive has grown exponentially more complex and consequential.

There can no longer be doubt. Obama’s presidency is marked by its failures more than its successes. Despite possessing remarkable reserves of political capital at the outset of his presidency, Obama has failed to bring about the positive change he promised in his campaign. Not only could Obama not convince politicians in Washington to stop playing their “politics as usual” game, he’s demonstrated that his political gaming skills match his bowling skill: at the level of the “Special Olympics or something.”

Josh Kornfield is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at  jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...