Living the dream

Part of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy was his ability to communicate an idea to a captivated audience.

“If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live,” he once said during a speech on civil rights.

Five minority students from South Florida high schools will compete in an oratorical competition this Friday that will test their ability to deliver an emphatic, inspirational speech in the same style of Dr. King.

The event, sponsored by the historically black Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, will feature $250 and $100 prizes for the first and second place winners of the competition.The event is significant in that Dr. King himself was a member of the fraternity. Actually being selected to be a contestant, is a feat in itself.

“This is an event that will showcase their writing and speaking skills in front of a large crowd,” said Jeremy Ladson, president of Alpha Phi Alpha. “It’s something they wouldn’t get to do in high school.”

Friday will mark the second time the fraternity has held the event, sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and United Black Students.

Last year’s winner, Leonard Thompson, applied his scholarship to the University of Florida.

“I was pushing for him to come to UM,” said Lionel Moise, Chairman of the event, “But we will always keep in touch with the winners to mentor them.”

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

Friday, 1/29/2010

SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE

GLASGLOW HALL

7pm

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...