Sports Briefs

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal garnered Louisville Slugger First Team All-America Preseason Honors for the upcoming season. Grandal hit .299 and led the team with 16 home runs in 2009.

Football:

Ten former Hurricanes were selected to play in the 2010 Pro Bowl, more than any other university. The game will take place at Sun Life Stadium this Sunday.

Tennis:

Season-opening weekend saw the No. 21 men’s tennis team (1-0) improved to a perfect 6-0 all-time against FAU with a sweep of all singles and doubles matches. They will travel to Athens, Ga. to participate in ITA Kick-Off weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1. The women’s team (1-0) blanked FAU as well and collected their first win of the season.

Track & Field:

In Champaign, Ill. this past weekend the women’s track and field squad took second in the Carle/Health Alliance Classic. The team was led by Senior Deandra Doyley’s first place finishes in both long jump and triple jump. The men’s squad finished in fourth place.

Women’s Basketball:

The Canes (12-5, 2-3) split their last two contests, winning on the road at Maryland (14-5, 2-3) and losing at home to Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3). They will travel to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Chestnut Hill, Mass. this weekend as they continue ACC play.

Swimming:

The Hurricane swimmers rounded out their season with a win at FAU. They will now begin training for the ACC championships which will take place in Chapel Hill, N.C. in late February.

Information courtesy of hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...