Sports Briefs

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal garnered Louisville Slugger First Team All-America Preseason Honors for the upcoming season. Grandal hit .299 and led the team with 16 home runs in 2009.

Football:

Ten former Hurricanes were selected to play in the 2010 Pro Bowl, more than any other university. The game will take place at Sun Life Stadium this Sunday.

Tennis:

Season-opening weekend saw the No. 21 men’s tennis team (1-0) improved to a perfect 6-0 all-time against FAU with a sweep of all singles and doubles matches. They will travel to Athens, Ga. to participate in ITA Kick-Off weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1. The women’s team (1-0) blanked FAU as well and collected their first win of the season.

Track & Field:

In Champaign, Ill. this past weekend the women’s track and field squad took second in the Carle/Health Alliance Classic. The team was led by Senior Deandra Doyley’s first place finishes in both long jump and triple jump. The men’s squad finished in fourth place.

Women’s Basketball:

The Canes (12-5, 2-3) split their last two contests, winning on the road at Maryland (14-5, 2-3) and losing at home to Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3). They will travel to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Chestnut Hill, Mass. this weekend as they continue ACC play.

Swimming:

The Hurricane swimmers rounded out their season with a win at FAU. They will now begin training for the ACC championships which will take place in Chapel Hill, N.C. in late February.

Information courtesy of hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...