Sports Briefs

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal garnered Louisville Slugger First Team All-America Preseason Honors for the upcoming season. Grandal hit .299 and led the team with 16 home runs in 2009.

Football:

Ten former Hurricanes were selected to play in the 2010 Pro Bowl, more than any other university. The game will take place at Sun Life Stadium this Sunday.

Tennis:

Season-opening weekend saw the No. 21 men’s tennis team (1-0) improved to a perfect 6-0 all-time against FAU with a sweep of all singles and doubles matches. They will travel to Athens, Ga. to participate in ITA Kick-Off weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1. The women’s team (1-0) blanked FAU as well and collected their first win of the season.

Track & Field:

In Champaign, Ill. this past weekend the women’s track and field squad took second in the Carle/Health Alliance Classic. The team was led by Senior Deandra Doyley’s first place finishes in both long jump and triple jump. The men’s squad finished in fourth place.

Women’s Basketball:

The Canes (12-5, 2-3) split their last two contests, winning on the road at Maryland (14-5, 2-3) and losing at home to Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3). They will travel to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Chestnut Hill, Mass. this weekend as they continue ACC play.

Swimming:

The Hurricane swimmers rounded out their season with a win at FAU. They will now begin training for the ACC championships which will take place in Chapel Hill, N.C. in late February.

Information courtesy of hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...