Tennis

Women’s tennis dominates FAU Owls

The No. 7 Miami Hurricane’s Women’s Tennis team trounced the Florida Atlantic Owls, 7-0 on Saturday afternoon in the first home series for the team.  Miami extended its streak to 27-0 lifetime against the Owl’s and swept the series 7-0 for the second consecutive year.
In the top singles flight Laura Vallverdu shut out Justin Jumair in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0, while at the number three slot Bianca Eichkorn blanked her opponent Dominique Wimmer 6-0, 6-0.

Florida Atlantic University seemed to be outmatched as the closest singles competition of the day was at the six spot between Miami’s Claudia Wasileski and Natasha Basma, in which Wasileski was victorious, 6-3, 6-2.

Last week’s Michigan Invitational champion, Anna Bartenstein maintained her early season triumphs as she defeated Natalia Totevska, 6-0, 6-2 to help Miami get out on top early.

In doubles play, the story was much the same, as the duo of  Danielle Mills and Laura Vallverdu defeated FAU’s Justine Humair and Cassie Bergeson 8-6. Vallverdu is one year removed from an NCAA Single Runner-up title and is a three-time All-American, currently ranked No.7 in the Campbell’s/ITA singles poll.

Ninth-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews shook things up when she decided to spilt up the nation’s third ranked doubles team of Vallverdu and Gabriels Mejia  who went 11-2 over the fall.  Mejia, instead, was paired up with Eichkorn at the number two position as they beat Natasha Basma and Erika Mrazkova 8-4.

Eichhorn recorded her first All-American accolade last year and is looking to bounce back from an injury  which sidelined her for most of the fall schedule. Ranked nationally at No.99, Eichkorn  is attempting to continue her success as she posted a 40-9 record just a season ago.

The Women’s Tennis Team will  host Boston Univeristy on Saturday, January 30th at 2:00 p.m. as Miami looks to continue its winning ways.  The contest will mark the second annual ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables.

Andrew Dymburt may be contacted at adymburt@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Dymburt

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...