New vice president

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Courtesy Office of Media Relations

Amid the recovery from the largest economic bust since the Great Depression, the University of Miami announced last Friday that John R. Shipley has been named the new Vice President for Finance and Treasury. His predecessor, Diane Cook, is retiring after 30 years in the position.

Among other duties, he will oversee university investments and account practices, as well as student accounts and payroll. He comes to Miami after having served in a similar position at Purdue University for the past 25 years.

“I am truly excited to be joining the University of Miami, a top-tier institution that continues to strive for excellence and improve in all aspects of its mission,” Shipley said, according to an e-Veritas newsletter update released by the university late Friday afternoon. “I look forward to joining the leadership team assisting President Shalala, Provost LeBlanc and Senior Vice President Natoli as they guide the University’s strategic plan and dedication to quality.”

With a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Miami University and a Master of Science in management from the Krannert Executive Master Program at Purdue University, Shipley serves as a board member of the council on governmental relations and as treasurer on the board of directors of the art museum in Lafayette Ind.

Shipley begins his new position Feb. 15.

“John comes from a university with a large research enterprise, which like the University of Miami has operations spread over multiple campuses,” said Joe Natoli, senior vice president of business and finance and CFO of UM.

Brittney Bomnin can be contacted at bbomnin@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana contributed to this report.

Brittney Bomnin

Art Director

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...