New vice president

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Courtesy Office of Media Relations

Amid the recovery from the largest economic bust since the Great Depression, the University of Miami announced last Friday that John R. Shipley has been named the new Vice President for Finance and Treasury. His predecessor, Diane Cook, is retiring after 30 years in the position.

Among other duties, he will oversee university investments and account practices, as well as student accounts and payroll. He comes to Miami after having served in a similar position at Purdue University for the past 25 years.

“I am truly excited to be joining the University of Miami, a top-tier institution that continues to strive for excellence and improve in all aspects of its mission,” Shipley said, according to an e-Veritas newsletter update released by the university late Friday afternoon. “I look forward to joining the leadership team assisting President Shalala, Provost LeBlanc and Senior Vice President Natoli as they guide the University’s strategic plan and dedication to quality.”

With a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Miami University and a Master of Science in management from the Krannert Executive Master Program at Purdue University, Shipley serves as a board member of the council on governmental relations and as treasurer on the board of directors of the art museum in Lafayette Ind.

Shipley begins his new position Feb. 15.

“John comes from a university with a large research enterprise, which like the University of Miami has operations spread over multiple campuses,” said Joe Natoli, senior vice president of business and finance and CFO of UM.

Brittney Bomnin can be contacted at bbomnin@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana contributed to this report.

Brittney Bomnin

Art Director

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...