New vice president

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Courtesy Office of Media Relations

Amid the recovery from the largest economic bust since the Great Depression, the University of Miami announced last Friday that John R. Shipley has been named the new Vice President for Finance and Treasury. His predecessor, Diane Cook, is retiring after 30 years in the position.

Among other duties, he will oversee university investments and account practices, as well as student accounts and payroll. He comes to Miami after having served in a similar position at Purdue University for the past 25 years.

“I am truly excited to be joining the University of Miami, a top-tier institution that continues to strive for excellence and improve in all aspects of its mission,” Shipley said, according to an e-Veritas newsletter update released by the university late Friday afternoon. “I look forward to joining the leadership team assisting President Shalala, Provost LeBlanc and Senior Vice President Natoli as they guide the University’s strategic plan and dedication to quality.”

With a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Miami University and a Master of Science in management from the Krannert Executive Master Program at Purdue University, Shipley serves as a board member of the council on governmental relations and as treasurer on the board of directors of the art museum in Lafayette Ind.

Shipley begins his new position Feb. 15.

“John comes from a university with a large research enterprise, which like the University of Miami has operations spread over multiple campuses,” said Joe Natoli, senior vice president of business and finance and CFO of UM.

Brittney Bomnin can be contacted at bbomnin@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana contributed to this report.

Brittney Bomnin

Art Director

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...