Less than extraordinary

Despite the studio’s efforts to equate it with “The Blind Side,” “Extraordinary Measures” is not nearly as good. The based-in-truth story of John Crowley, who risks everything to find a cure for his children’s debilitating disease, “Extraordinary Measures” is a decent film with good intentions that succeeds at being a tearjerker and fails at inspiring anyone.

Brendan Fraser and Keri Russell (light years away from her “Felicity” persona) are the parents desperate to find a cure for Pompe disease, a neuromuscular disorder that threatens the lives of two of their children. Fraser partners with Harrison Ford’s curmudgeonly biochemist in order to produce a viable cure. That’s the extent of the plot, one that unfortunately doesn’t rise above the level of a Lifetime original movie.

The performances are fine, if a little cloying: Ford yells, Fraser frets and Russell offers varied advice. Only one actor– Diego Velázquez, playing the Pompe-afflicted Patrick– delivers a natural, empathetic performance.

It’s hard to create cinematic drama from talk of enzymes and corporate mergers, and “Extraordinary Measures” never rises above its subject matter. The Crowleys’ story deserves to be told, but not in the manner of a cheap cable movie.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars
Starring: Brendan Fraser, Harrison Ford, Keri Russell
Directed By: Tom Vaughan
MPAA Rating: PG

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...