Get the skinny on staying thin

Courtesy of Simon and Schuster

Forget about Weight Watchers and don’t call Jenny because you’re fat; Bethenny Frankel knows best and you can read all about it in her New York Times best sellers “Naturally Thin” and the newly released “The Skinnygirl Dish.”

Not only is Frankel a successful author, she is also a celebrity natural food chef and cast member of Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of New York.” She understands that diets don’t work, liberating readers from the endless cycle of starvation and disappointment, a reality understood by University of Miami students coveting rock-hard bodies.

“In college I was completely obsessed and could never keep my weight under control,” said Frankel in a phone interview with The Miami Hurricane. “Now I treat [eating in a buffet setting, like the dining hall]like one big holiday meal or cocktail party where you just make choices. You go up once and you kind of take a little bit of everything, and you don’t go back unless you’re really, absolutely dying for something or unless its for a high-volume good investment food, like salad or soup or vegetables.”

In her books, Frankel describes her own struggles with food and how she overcame them. Readers are presented with easy-to-follow strategies that make sense. For example, Frankel talks about the point of diminishing returns, the moment when your food does not taste quite as good as it did upon first bite. If that chocolate cake was good for the first five forkfuls, but it’s iffy on the sixth and you’re getting full, why would you continue to eat it? Exactly. You should stop, which is just one of the many telling points that Frankel highlights.

Additionally, Frankel believes meals should be satisfying and healthy. She helps readers navigate through their week, making good choices while never feeling deprived. Luckily for students at the University of Miami, her tips can easily be applied to the dreaded dining hall.

“You should always have what you want, but a lot of times in college that’s going to be macaroni and cheese and pizza and pasta,” she said. “So you should load up on the salad first, and the soup first… So if you want pasta, make sure you put vegetables in it… Or you can have your salad first. Of course you can always go for the more fattening thing but nothing in small quantities is fattening.”

With her sharp wit and frank words, Frankel’s books resonate with readers. She uniquely explains how to cultivate a healthy relationship with food and to eliminate past methods of approaching meals.

“I think I’m very honest and very straightforward, and I think I deliver information in a very digestible manner,” Frankel said. “I would never write about something I don’t personally know firsthand, and so [readers]know that I get it. I really, really get it and I understand, and I wish I knew all the information I have now, back then. You know, youth is wasted on the young. So it’s great, because college students can benefit now from all my information; it really is very realistic.”

With Bethenny Frankel on your side, you truly can have your cake and eat it too.

To read a review of Frankel’s latest book, “The Skinnygirl Dish,” and for more information, check out themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer