Editorial: Judging Student Government

Student Government has the ability to have large effects on the University of Miami. When Mike Abrams ran for student body president in 1969, his platform included the establishment of a tradition room on campus. This idea eventually became the Rathskeller.

Every student government cannot make major changes; its term in office is only a year. There has to be continuity as members of SG change and the new leadership has to maintain the progress of its predecessors.

This current SG has succeeded in its attempt to try to restructure the advising process and in its effort to standardize a university-wide attendance policy.

Even though this current student government has not raised any new buildings on campus, it has improved the function of the existing structures and programs on campus.

For example, last semester it started the 24/7 hours at the Richter Library a week early to see if the increased hours would work year round.

Despite tough economic times, SG was able to add  an Ibis Ride to Key Biscayne and brought back the Coconut Grove shuttle.

Granted, not all the goals of student government have been reached, such as the Miracle Mile shuttle ride.

But there has been progress.

What is important is that the UM student body shows more interest in SG. A year ago only one official party ran for the top executive spots, which is not acceptable.

These positions have power and should not come without competition.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...