Editorial: Judging Student Government

Student Government has the ability to have large effects on the University of Miami. When Mike Abrams ran for student body president in 1969, his platform included the establishment of a tradition room on campus. This idea eventually became the Rathskeller.

Every student government cannot make major changes; its term in office is only a year. There has to be continuity as members of SG change and the new leadership has to maintain the progress of its predecessors.

This current SG has succeeded in its attempt to try to restructure the advising process and in its effort to standardize a university-wide attendance policy.

Even though this current student government has not raised any new buildings on campus, it has improved the function of the existing structures and programs on campus.

For example, last semester it started the 24/7 hours at the Richter Library a week early to see if the increased hours would work year round.

Despite tough economic times, SG was able to add  an Ibis Ride to Key Biscayne and brought back the Coconut Grove shuttle.

Granted, not all the goals of student government have been reached, such as the Miracle Mile shuttle ride.

But there has been progress.

What is important is that the UM student body shows more interest in SG. A year ago only one official party ran for the top executive spots, which is not acceptable.

These positions have power and should not come without competition.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...