Basketball

Clark is a quiet but hard-working inspiration

Senior forward Charmaine Clark takes a shot over a Virginia Tech defender in the first half of Sunday's game. After leading through the first half, the Hurricanes lost 73-69.Matt Wallach // The Miami Hurricane

No one appreciates winning and stability more than Charmaine Clark.

Clark, a 5-foot-11-inch senior from Hinesville, Ga., has never won more than two Atlantic Coast Conference games in any one of her previous three seasons. This year UM already has two wins in its first four conference games.

“Since being here I have come a long way,” said Clark, the longest tenured Hurricane basketball player. “Being ranked [two weeks ago]was just the start of things to come. It feels really great but humbling at the same time. I’m really not looking too much at the past, just really proud of the future.”

Clark, one of just two upperclassmen on the orange and green, is the quiet leader who leads by example. Despite the fact that she does not have gaudy numbers and is often overshadowed by sophomore stars Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams, she is one of three co-captains.

“I am so happy for her,” said fifth year head coach Katie Meier. “You can’t build a program without consistent players. She has a consistent personality too. Charmaine always believed in the coaches and in this program.”

Over the years, there have been a lot of players who have chosen to  transfer from the UM women’s basketball program to other athletics. Due to this, there are fresh faces all over the BankUnited Center; eight of the 10 players are either freshmen or sophomores.

“[Charmaine is a leader],” Meier said. “She is always texting and calling, reminding teammates of what’s going on. She takes initiative and really cares.”

Growing up, Clark lived a nomadic lifestyle. Her mother was in the military and she had to move every two and a half years. Clark was born in Georgia then moved to Korea, Tallahassee, Maryland, Missouri, Virginia and then back to Georgia where she graduated high school as an honor student.

“Being a Hurricane, this is the longest time I have ever spent in one place,” Clark said.

With Clark, there was never a doubt that this program would reverse its fortunes.

“I chose Miami because of the family atmosphere,” Clark, a finance major, said. “I believed in Coach Meier and her vision from the day I met her in a high school tournament. I always had faith in her.”

Clark’s basketball skills parallel her traveling journeys; she is always evolving and changing her style.

“When I came here [in 2006]I was a post player,” Clark said. “I started in the ACC Tournament as a freshman as a [center]. Now I’m starting at the [small forward]. I’ve played every position so my game is always changing.”

Meier loves Clark’s selfless attitude.

“Charmaine could care less about personal statistics,” Meier said. “She wants Miami to be in the top 25 and make the NCAA Tournament. She has adapted to every situation she has been put in. I used to call her Charmin (for being soft like the toilet paper), but that was when she was young. She has earned the right not to be called that. She has gotten stronger and more physical this year.”

Clark was not only an integral part of Miami’s upset win over No. 11 Florida State when she hit a pair of clutch threes and totaled 12 points earlier this month, but she was also instrumental in the Canes’ shocking win over Maryland in College Park last Thursday.

Clark was one of four Hurricanes who scored in double figures in the 80-77 instant classic win that snapped the Lady Terrapins 48 game home winning streak that dated back to Feb. 2007. Clark finished with 14 points was 6-for-10 from the floor and scored key baskets when called upon.

“Just watch, this team could be real special,” Clark said with a smile.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...