Book review: “The Skinnygirl Dish” by Bethenny Frankel

Courtesy of Fireside, Simon and Schuster

Witty, perceptive and unapologetic, Bethenny Frankel is a New York Times bestselling author, celebrity natural food chef and cast member of Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York. She has the gift to change her readers’ attitude towards food and cooking with her unique approach. Her latest book, “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life,” is both insightful and entertaining.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” builds upon the principles established in Frankel’s first book, “Naturally Thin.” Using the “Naturally Thin philosophy” Frankel makes cooking accessible. With her help, anyone can create impressive, yet easy, meals; from the college kid that barely knows how to boil water, to the housewife looking for healthier meal options.

Regardless of her readers’ level of expertise, each step is explained in a thorough, yet concise manner. Sprinkled throughout with her own unique humor, Frankel anticipates every question readers may ask and includes all the information they should know. The book is comprehensive and empowers readers; they never feel overwhelmed or unsure of what to do next.

Frankel even includes alternative ways to create her recipes, using different ingredients readers may have around their kitchen in place of the ones originally listed. She gets it; when readers come home from school or work, they tired and don’t want to have to go to the store for obscure ingredients. With Frankel’s recipes, readers use what they have and are provided with the tools and skills to make it work, regardless of the circumstance.

Not only are the recipes in “The Skinnygirl Dish” easy to follow, but they are healthy and delicious. Who could turn down Frankel’s version of “Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad” with a side of “Guilt-Free Fries,” or a spoonful of her “What-the-Hell-Do-I-Do-with-These-Leftover-Avocados Dip?” While Frankel’s lunch and dinner items guarantee diners a membership in the clean plate club, her dessert recipes are the best part of her latest book. In particular, the “Not-So-Red Velvet Cupcakes” are moist and rich, while remaining health-conscious. The only problem is you can’t eat just one.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” is a must-buy for those interested in a comprehensive guide to more healthful cooking, or for those who simply enjoy a good read by an author who tells it like it is.

RATING:
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Price: $16
Recipes included: Breakfasts, light lunches, dinners, snacks, drinks and cocktails, and desserts.
Additional information: Published by Simon and Schuster, Paperback, 296 pages

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...