Book review: “The Skinnygirl Dish” by Bethenny Frankel

Courtesy of Fireside, Simon and Schuster

Witty, perceptive and unapologetic, Bethenny Frankel is a New York Times bestselling author, celebrity natural food chef and cast member of Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York. She has the gift to change her readers’ attitude towards food and cooking with her unique approach. Her latest book, “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life,” is both insightful and entertaining.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” builds upon the principles established in Frankel’s first book, “Naturally Thin.” Using the “Naturally Thin philosophy” Frankel makes cooking accessible. With her help, anyone can create impressive, yet easy, meals; from the college kid that barely knows how to boil water, to the housewife looking for healthier meal options.

Regardless of her readers’ level of expertise, each step is explained in a thorough, yet concise manner. Sprinkled throughout with her own unique humor, Frankel anticipates every question readers may ask and includes all the information they should know. The book is comprehensive and empowers readers; they never feel overwhelmed or unsure of what to do next.

Frankel even includes alternative ways to create her recipes, using different ingredients readers may have around their kitchen in place of the ones originally listed. She gets it; when readers come home from school or work, they tired and don’t want to have to go to the store for obscure ingredients. With Frankel’s recipes, readers use what they have and are provided with the tools and skills to make it work, regardless of the circumstance.

Not only are the recipes in “The Skinnygirl Dish” easy to follow, but they are healthy and delicious. Who could turn down Frankel’s version of “Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad” with a side of “Guilt-Free Fries,” or a spoonful of her “What-the-Hell-Do-I-Do-with-These-Leftover-Avocados Dip?” While Frankel’s lunch and dinner items guarantee diners a membership in the clean plate club, her dessert recipes are the best part of her latest book. In particular, the “Not-So-Red Velvet Cupcakes” are moist and rich, while remaining health-conscious. The only problem is you can’t eat just one.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” is a must-buy for those interested in a comprehensive guide to more healthful cooking, or for those who simply enjoy a good read by an author who tells it like it is.

RATING:
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Price: $16
Recipes included: Breakfasts, light lunches, dinners, snacks, drinks and cocktails, and desserts.
Additional information: Published by Simon and Schuster, Paperback, 296 pages

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...