Tennis

Women’s Tennis Starts Strong

Photo by Eric Bronson

The University of Miami women’s tennis team entered the season ranked seventh in the nation and participated in the Michigan Tennis Invitational at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan this past weekend. The event marked the first time the Hurricanes took the court since the Florida State Seminole Classic last fall.

The tournament consisted of three rounds of doubles and singles with eight flights in singles and four flights in doubles. Each day was made up of eight doubles matches and 16 singles matches. Points were determined on a decreasing value system based on position, with eight points being allotted to the winner at the No.1 spot and one point for the No. 8 winner.

The Canes ended day one of the competition strong, winning four of the six singles positions against the No. 11 Tennessee Vols. Senior three-time All-American Laura Vallverdu defeated Tennessee’s top-ranked singles player Cailtlin Whoriskey 6-1, 6-4 while junior All-American Bianca Eichkorn experienced similar success beating Natalie Pluskota 6-2, 6-1.

In doubles play on opening day of the invitational Miami’s freshman Danielle Mills and senior Caludia Wasilewski fell 8-4, to the No. 20 Michigan’s Mimi Nguyen and Michelle Sulahian while at the second spot Bartenstein and Eichkorn lost in dramatic fashion, 9-7, to Denise Muresan and Rika Tatsuno.

Day two of the contest was spilt with the No. 24 ranked University of Washington after playing six singles matches. The Washington Huskies appeared to give the Canes a bit of trouble as Miami’s Vallverdu- ranked No. 7 in the Campbell’s/ITA singles poll- lost in three sets to No.11 Venise Chan, 0-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) after a tie-break decision.

UM’s day two woes continued after Washington’s Denise Dy beat Eichkorn in a close game, 7-5, 6-3 at second flight singles.

Austrian transfer, Anna Bartenstein defeated the Huskies’ Lina Xu convincingly, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot

Bartenstein continued her success on Monday winning the singles title at the Michigan Invitational. Claiming three wins in singles play, including a three-set victory on the tournament’s last day, the sophomore was the only Hurricane player to collect three wins at the event, receiving 19 total points to walk away with the crown.

Bartenstein’s win over Michigan’s Whitney Taney at the third flight position not only gave her the singles title, it moved her to a team second-best 10-2 record on the season.

Miami showcased their talent against three ranked opponents on the road this past weekend and will now look to open the dual season at home Saturday against cross-town opponent the Florida Atlantic Owls. The match will take place at noon inside the Neil Schiff Tennis Center as the Canes look to continue their early season triumphs.

Andrew Dymburt may be contacted at adymburt@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Dymburt

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Women’s Tennis Starts Strong”

1. Alma says:

That’s good! I support Miami women’s tennis team

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...