Tennis

Women’s Tennis Starts Strong

Photo by Eric Bronson

The University of Miami women’s tennis team entered the season ranked seventh in the nation and participated in the Michigan Tennis Invitational at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan this past weekend. The event marked the first time the Hurricanes took the court since the Florida State Seminole Classic last fall.

The tournament consisted of three rounds of doubles and singles with eight flights in singles and four flights in doubles. Each day was made up of eight doubles matches and 16 singles matches. Points were determined on a decreasing value system based on position, with eight points being allotted to the winner at the No.1 spot and one point for the No. 8 winner.

The Canes ended day one of the competition strong, winning four of the six singles positions against the No. 11 Tennessee Vols. Senior three-time All-American Laura Vallverdu defeated Tennessee’s top-ranked singles player Cailtlin Whoriskey 6-1, 6-4 while junior All-American Bianca Eichkorn experienced similar success beating Natalie Pluskota 6-2, 6-1.

In doubles play on opening day of the invitational Miami’s freshman Danielle Mills and senior Caludia Wasilewski fell 8-4, to the No. 20 Michigan’s Mimi Nguyen and Michelle Sulahian while at the second spot Bartenstein and Eichkorn lost in dramatic fashion, 9-7, to Denise Muresan and Rika Tatsuno.

Day two of the contest was spilt with the No. 24 ranked University of Washington after playing six singles matches. The Washington Huskies appeared to give the Canes a bit of trouble as Miami’s Vallverdu- ranked No. 7 in the Campbell’s/ITA singles poll- lost in three sets to No.11 Venise Chan, 0-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) after a tie-break decision.

UM’s day two woes continued after Washington’s Denise Dy beat Eichkorn in a close game, 7-5, 6-3 at second flight singles.

Austrian transfer, Anna Bartenstein defeated the Huskies’ Lina Xu convincingly, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot

Bartenstein continued her success on Monday winning the singles title at the Michigan Invitational. Claiming three wins in singles play, including a three-set victory on the tournament’s last day, the sophomore was the only Hurricane player to collect three wins at the event, receiving 19 total points to walk away with the crown.

Bartenstein’s win over Michigan’s Whitney Taney at the third flight position not only gave her the singles title, it moved her to a team second-best 10-2 record on the season.

Miami showcased their talent against three ranked opponents on the road this past weekend and will now look to open the dual season at home Saturday against cross-town opponent the Florida Atlantic Owls. The match will take place at noon inside the Neil Schiff Tennis Center as the Canes look to continue their early season triumphs.

Andrew Dymburt may be contacted at adymburt@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Dymburt

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...