Laugh Out Loud at SoBe

Miami Beach will be filled with giggles and guffaws as the fifth annual South Beach Comedy Festival returns from Thursday through Saturday.

Featuring performances from well known comedians, such as Aziz Ansari from “Parks & Recreation,” Kevin Hart from “Soul Plane” and Comedy Central regular Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias, the festival is sure to please anyone looking to start off 2010 with a few laughs. Michael Birbiglia, Brian Regan, Jon Lajoie, Joe Rogan and The Daily Show and Friends will also be performing.

The festival kicked off Wednesday with a performance by the Mad Cat Theatre Company at 7:30 p.m. at the Colony Theatre. The South Florida-based theater company presented their classic “Shepherd’s Pie” where a group of Irish hoodlums take on the task of explaining why we really celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

“[The comedy festival] is a good thing to go to for the start of the spring semester to get a laugh or two,” junior Andrea Concepcion said. “I think it’s a great idea.”

The comedy festival will also include free performances each night at 9 p.m. at the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue, ensuring everyone will be able to experience the events regardless of financial ability. Comedians Owen Benjamin, Pete Holmes, Jay Larson, Natasha Leggero and Joe Mande will put on hilarious performances in this free comedic extravaganza.

Senior Christopher Noel is familiar with the Lincoln Road Stage thanks to performances during Sleepless Night, where comedians were promoting the South Beach Comedy Festival.

“They were good, and if that’s a springboard for the festival, then I think it’s great,” Noel said. “Forty dollars is a normal price ticket and it’s not too much to pay if you’re going to see a good comedian.”

To purchase tickets or for more information visit www.southbeachcomedyfestival.com or www.livenation.com.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at atorres@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO BOX:

What: South Beach Comedy Festival
When: Thursday through Saturday
Where: Four main venue locations: Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theatre, Lincoln Theatre, Colony Theater and the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue
Cost: Performances at the Lincoln Road Stage are free; all other performances prices range from $25-$50.

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...