Laugh Out Loud at SoBe

Miami Beach will be filled with giggles and guffaws as the fifth annual South Beach Comedy Festival returns from Thursday through Saturday.

Featuring performances from well known comedians, such as Aziz Ansari from “Parks & Recreation,” Kevin Hart from “Soul Plane” and Comedy Central regular Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias, the festival is sure to please anyone looking to start off 2010 with a few laughs. Michael Birbiglia, Brian Regan, Jon Lajoie, Joe Rogan and The Daily Show and Friends will also be performing.

The festival kicked off Wednesday with a performance by the Mad Cat Theatre Company at 7:30 p.m. at the Colony Theatre. The South Florida-based theater company presented their classic “Shepherd’s Pie” where a group of Irish hoodlums take on the task of explaining why we really celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

“[The comedy festival] is a good thing to go to for the start of the spring semester to get a laugh or two,” junior Andrea Concepcion said. “I think it’s a great idea.”

The comedy festival will also include free performances each night at 9 p.m. at the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue, ensuring everyone will be able to experience the events regardless of financial ability. Comedians Owen Benjamin, Pete Holmes, Jay Larson, Natasha Leggero and Joe Mande will put on hilarious performances in this free comedic extravaganza.

Senior Christopher Noel is familiar with the Lincoln Road Stage thanks to performances during Sleepless Night, where comedians were promoting the South Beach Comedy Festival.

“They were good, and if that’s a springboard for the festival, then I think it’s great,” Noel said. “Forty dollars is a normal price ticket and it’s not too much to pay if you’re going to see a good comedian.”

To purchase tickets or for more information visit www.southbeachcomedyfestival.com or www.livenation.com.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at atorres@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO BOX:

What: South Beach Comedy Festival
When: Thursday through Saturday
Where: Four main venue locations: Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theatre, Lincoln Theatre, Colony Theater and the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue
Cost: Performances at the Lincoln Road Stage are free; all other performances prices range from $25-$50.

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...