Laugh Out Loud at SoBe

Miami Beach will be filled with giggles and guffaws as the fifth annual South Beach Comedy Festival returns from Thursday through Saturday.

Featuring performances from well known comedians, such as Aziz Ansari from “Parks & Recreation,” Kevin Hart from “Soul Plane” and Comedy Central regular Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias, the festival is sure to please anyone looking to start off 2010 with a few laughs. Michael Birbiglia, Brian Regan, Jon Lajoie, Joe Rogan and The Daily Show and Friends will also be performing.

The festival kicked off Wednesday with a performance by the Mad Cat Theatre Company at 7:30 p.m. at the Colony Theatre. The South Florida-based theater company presented their classic “Shepherd’s Pie” where a group of Irish hoodlums take on the task of explaining why we really celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

“[The comedy festival] is a good thing to go to for the start of the spring semester to get a laugh or two,” junior Andrea Concepcion said. “I think it’s a great idea.”

The comedy festival will also include free performances each night at 9 p.m. at the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue, ensuring everyone will be able to experience the events regardless of financial ability. Comedians Owen Benjamin, Pete Holmes, Jay Larson, Natasha Leggero and Joe Mande will put on hilarious performances in this free comedic extravaganza.

Senior Christopher Noel is familiar with the Lincoln Road Stage thanks to performances during Sleepless Night, where comedians were promoting the South Beach Comedy Festival.

“They were good, and if that’s a springboard for the festival, then I think it’s great,” Noel said. “Forty dollars is a normal price ticket and it’s not too much to pay if you’re going to see a good comedian.”

To purchase tickets or for more information visit www.southbeachcomedyfestival.com or www.livenation.com.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at atorres@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO BOX:

What: South Beach Comedy Festival
When: Thursday through Saturday
Where: Four main venue locations: Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theatre, Lincoln Theatre, Colony Theater and the Lincoln Road Stage at Euclid Avenue
Cost: Performances at the Lincoln Road Stage are free; all other performances prices range from $25-$50.

About Author

Ashley Torres Senior EDGE Writer

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...