Football

Jacory Harris to have thumb surgery

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris will undergo thumb surgery Wednesday, January 6th on his right hand. Harris injured his thumb in a 33-24 loss against North Carolina on November 14th.

The surgery is not severe and is a routine procedure.

There is no time table for Harris’ return. If Harris is not ready for spring practice freshman A.J. Highsmith will be the No. 1 quarterback heading into spring practice which begins at the end of February. Highsmith saw limited action as a backup as he was 4-for-6 with one touchdown and 53 yards passing.

Harris split time his freshman year at quarterback but then was the undisputed starting quarterback this year. Unlike last year, Harris will not have to learn a new offense as Mark Whipple returns for his second year. Harris can spend more time rehabbing.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...