Lady GaGa makes the fans ‘Just Dance’

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center.

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center in Downtown Miami.

For her first show of the new year, Lady GaGa pulled out all the stops Saturday night at the James L. Knight Center to prove that 2010 will be just as much her year as the last.

Clearly channeling Madonna throughout the concert with cone-shaped bras and provocative dance moves, Lady GaGa is becoming this generation’s “Material Girl.”

If you ever regretted buying an expensive concert ticket, it wasn’t for Stefani Germanotta’s The Monster Ball Tour. Through costume changes, elaborate lighting and Warholian set designs, she had people of all ages – from tweens to middle-aged couples – dancing for two hours.

Though some songs underperformed, like her No. 1 hit “Poker Face” (something was just missing from the early GaGa days…maybe it was the blue, futuristic-looking leotard), others such as “Teeth” sounded better live.

While singing with her tracks for most of the night because of all the choreography she and her dancers had cooked up, Lady GaGa shined most in front of the piano for “Speechless,” which she dedicated to all the gay boys in Miami, and the acoustic version of “Poker Face.”

But nothing could beat the finale.

The entire crowd, myself included, sang and danced (in perfect synchronization with the music video), to “Bad Romance.” It’s something that hasn’t happened since “Thriller.”

And after she and the dancers took a bow and left the stage, and the closing video began, fans continued their Twitter updates and Facebook statuses to the envy of friends.

ChrissyD13: “AMAZING!!! ‘So Happy I Could Die.'”

Set list

• Dance in the Dark
  • Just Dance
  • LoveGame
  • LoveGame remix
  • Alejandro
  • Monster
  • So Happy I Could Die
  • Teeth
  • Speechless
  • Poker Face (acoustic)
  • The Fame
  • Money Honey
  • Beautiful Dirty Rich
  • Boys, Boys, Boys
  • Paper Gangsta
  • Poker Face
  • Paparazzi
  • Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Bad Romance

Opening acts

Semi Precious Weapons – The lead singer was a little too energetic, and the usual poor sound quality for beginning acts made it difficult to hear the lyrics. The band was good at hyping up Lady GaGa…

Jason DeRulo – The Miami native clearly has his sights set on being the next Chris Brown (minus the whole Rihanna incident, we hope), as he came to the stage in complete Michael Jackson inspired-gloves, knee pads, etc. He had the crowd going with hits “Whatcha Say” and “In My Head.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...