Lady GaGa makes the fans ‘Just Dance’

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center.

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center in Downtown Miami.

For her first show of the new year, Lady GaGa pulled out all the stops Saturday night at the James L. Knight Center to prove that 2010 will be just as much her year as the last.

Clearly channeling Madonna throughout the concert with cone-shaped bras and provocative dance moves, Lady GaGa is becoming this generation’s “Material Girl.”

If you ever regretted buying an expensive concert ticket, it wasn’t for Stefani Germanotta’s The Monster Ball Tour. Through costume changes, elaborate lighting and Warholian set designs, she had people of all ages – from tweens to middle-aged couples – dancing for two hours.

Though some songs underperformed, like her No. 1 hit “Poker Face” (something was just missing from the early GaGa days…maybe it was the blue, futuristic-looking leotard), others such as “Teeth” sounded better live.

While singing with her tracks for most of the night because of all the choreography she and her dancers had cooked up, Lady GaGa shined most in front of the piano for “Speechless,” which she dedicated to all the gay boys in Miami, and the acoustic version of “Poker Face.”

But nothing could beat the finale.

The entire crowd, myself included, sang and danced (in perfect synchronization with the music video), to “Bad Romance.” It’s something that hasn’t happened since “Thriller.”

And after she and the dancers took a bow and left the stage, and the closing video began, fans continued their Twitter updates and Facebook statuses to the envy of friends.

ChrissyD13: “AMAZING!!! ‘So Happy I Could Die.'”

Set list

• Dance in the Dark
  • Just Dance
  • LoveGame
  • LoveGame remix
  • Alejandro
  • Monster
  • So Happy I Could Die
  • Teeth
  • Speechless
  • Poker Face (acoustic)
  • The Fame
  • Money Honey
  • Beautiful Dirty Rich
  • Boys, Boys, Boys
  • Paper Gangsta
  • Poker Face
  • Paparazzi
  • Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Bad Romance

Opening acts

Semi Precious Weapons – The lead singer was a little too energetic, and the usual poor sound quality for beginning acts made it difficult to hear the lyrics. The band was good at hyping up Lady GaGa…

Jason DeRulo – The Miami native clearly has his sights set on being the next Chris Brown (minus the whole Rihanna incident, we hope), as he came to the stage in complete Michael Jackson inspired-gloves, knee pads, etc. He had the crowd going with hits “Whatcha Say” and “In My Head.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...