Edge, Football

Canes are SpongeBob’s biggest fans

Remember the 21-20 victory over Oklahoma on Oct. 3 that put the Miami Hurricanes at No. 11 in the national rankings with a 3-1 record?

Instead of letting the success get to their heads, players and coaches avoided the hype and turned the television on to Nickelodeon.

“The only thing that we’re going to watch on TV from now on is SpongeBob,” head coach Randy Shannon told reporters at a press conference. “We ain’t watching ESPN. We ain’t watching CBS. We ain’t watching ABC. If SpongeBob can tell you how good you are, then you deserve it.”

Now, with the 14th-ranked Canes preparing for No. 24 Wisconsin in Tuesday’s Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, the orange and green will get airtime on ESPN and all the talk that comes with it.

With a victory, Miami would have its first 10-win season since 2003. But would that be good enough? University of Miami fan blogs began posting this photo as proof that everyone’s favorite sponge thought so.

Ironically enough, on Sept. 26 Paramount Home Entertainment released “SpongeBob Squarepants: The First 100 Episodes DVD Box Set,” which includes the first 100 episodes on 14 discs.

Who better to ask about the show then the Miami Hurricanes? There’s still no word yet on whether the team met SpongeBob at Universal Studios.

Below, players weigh in on the pineapple under the sea in Bikini Bottom:

SpongeBob Squarepants: The First 100 Episodes DVD Box Set

Freshman wide receiver Tommy Streeter

Favorite character(s): Plankton

“I would like to try a Krabby Patty.”

Junior cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke aka “DVD”

Favorite character(s): All of them

Freshman cornerback Jamal Reid

Favorite character(s): SpongeBob Squarepants

“It’s really funny. He makes crazy noises and does funny stuff all the time.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...