Basketball

Canes cruise to 12-1, win 80-59

Sophomore guard Malcolm Grant scored 14 points to lead five Hurricanes in double figures as Miami cruised to the 80-59 victory over North Carolina A&T. Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Senior forward Dwayne Collins must’ve seen enough.

With North Carolina A&T on a run to start the second half, Collins dunked over a defender for the bucket and the foul to stop the Aggies’ momentum in a 80-59 victory Monday night at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes (12-1, 0-1) were led by sophomore guard Malcolm Grant’s 14 points. Collins and freshman guard Durand Scott each contributed 13 points.

Dwane Joshua scored a team-high 14 points for the Aggies (4-7). North Carolina A&T, which trailed by 20 at the half, started to find its groove behind the arc and closed the gap to 10 with 12:56 left in the game.

That is until Collins substituted for freshman Reggie Johnson and made baskets in back-to-back possessions.

Miami next plays on Dec. 30 and hosts Bethune-Cookman (7-5) for a 7:30 tipoff.

GAME NOTES

• Antoine Allen made a three-pointer at the buzzer to end the first half and give the Canes a 44-22 lead.
  • During the second half, Grant did not wear his trademark headband. He was donning a white one for the first 20 minutes.
  • Sebastian the Ibis danced (and dressed up) the Nutcracker’s “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” with a group of young ballerinas during halftime.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...