Basketball

Canes cruise to 12-1, win 80-59

Sophomore guard Malcolm Grant scored 14 points to lead five Hurricanes in double figures as Miami cruised to the 80-59 victory over North Carolina A&T. Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Senior forward Dwayne Collins must’ve seen enough.

With North Carolina A&T on a run to start the second half, Collins dunked over a defender for the bucket and the foul to stop the Aggies’ momentum in a 80-59 victory Monday night at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes (12-1, 0-1) were led by sophomore guard Malcolm Grant’s 14 points. Collins and freshman guard Durand Scott each contributed 13 points.

Dwane Joshua scored a team-high 14 points for the Aggies (4-7). North Carolina A&T, which trailed by 20 at the half, started to find its groove behind the arc and closed the gap to 10 with 12:56 left in the game.

That is until Collins substituted for freshman Reggie Johnson and made baskets in back-to-back possessions.

Miami next plays on Dec. 30 and hosts Bethune-Cookman (7-5) for a 7:30 tipoff.

GAME NOTES

• Antoine Allen made a three-pointer at the buzzer to end the first half and give the Canes a 44-22 lead.
  • During the second half, Grant did not wear his trademark headband. He was donning a white one for the first 20 minutes.
  • Sebastian the Ibis danced (and dressed up) the Nutcracker’s “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” with a group of young ballerinas during halftime.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...