December Lust List

The Occasional Bitch
…because occasionally the bitch has something to say.Culture. Opinion. Fashion. Travel.

Fashion:

Even though school’s out until spring semester, your best bitch is still here to help you with some last minute styling advice. Aren’t you lucky? My lust list is a compilation of December’s hottest items and trends….

As always, sexy shoes are a must. Mile-high peeptoe pumps are a perfect choice this winter, and are a trend that will carry through to the spring, with peeptoe slingback heels. Clearly the black kid leather Louboutin’s are on my lust list for a reason: they are ridiculously expensive. But a girl can dream… and also take inspiration from the best. Similar pumps are available at many different price points.

Almost as important as a lady’s shoes, the handbag can make or break an outfit. This winter, I’m drawn to structured pieces, like the Coach “Audrey” bag and Dylan Long’s zip wallet (which I would double as a clutch). Both maintain a definite shape, but balance it with easygoing, slouchy accents. They also feature strong metallic hardware, adding a little punch.

Even though its winter (well, for those of us not from Florida), it is no excuse to forget about color. What is more refreshing than a bright saphire blue sweater amidst the gloom of subartic temperatures? Color is inspiring and is constant reassurance that spring semester will thankfully start soon. The coral BCBGMAXAZRIA dress is another perfect example. This dress specifically is from the designer’s spring line, but students can pull off this look with Miami’s mild winter temperatures. Most importantly, pay attention to BCBG’s nod to nautical styling, with the striped belt. In the spring, nautical-inspired looks will be big. Snap up basics early.  Boys belts and ties from Crewcuts, J. Crew’s childrens line, can be worn as creative waist-cinchers and coordinated with accessories.

Draw inspiration from the 1920s for a captivating and different look. This will be a trend to follow through the new year. Abercrombie and Fitch’s “Chloe” top features a looser fit and beautifully beaded embellishments, which would make any ’20s flapper envious. Try mixing a statement piece from the era with modern looks, like skinny jeans and killer heels. More to come on the flapper trend in my New Years Eve article… keep an eye out.

Last but not least…the black Betsy Johnson party dress and Fresh’s Sugar Rosè Tinted Lip Treatment. Both are items after which I legitimately lust. Fresh lip treatment is my go-to balm for the winter, since wind-cracked lips are not so attractive. Also, the pretty rose tint is irresistable; it’s the perfect combination of bubblegum pink and cherry red. However at approximately $22 a pop, it doesn’t come cheap. The black frock is not from Betsy Johnson’s new line and does not represent a new winter trend; it’s just an adorable dress. I love the sweetheart neckline and fun, flouncy skirt, and thought you might too.

So what are you lusting after this holiday season?
Leave your comments below bitches…

<< Back to The Occasional Bitch archives

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...