“The Rock” speaks at commencement

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Over 800 graduates witnessed special guest commencement speaker Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson address their commencement before turning their tassels from right to left.

Johnson, who played defensive tackle for the Hurricanes football team during the 1991 national championship, returned to Miami with a famous career. Most recently, he is known as an actor who starred in films such as The Scorpion King, Walking Tall, Get Smart, The Game Plan, and Race to Witch Mountain.

A multi-million donor to the university, the Rock is arguably most popular for his former professional wrestling career with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) between 1996 to 2004, having won several championships and garnered widespread notoriety for his talent.

Now, wearing the ceremonial gown of an alumnus, he returned to give advice to those who would graduate.

“What makes this really special is that like all of you graduates and like many of you in this arena, I am and will forever be a Miami Hurricane,” said Johnson in his opening remarks. “This university was the breeding ground of some of the most important lessons that helped shape my life and guide me for success.”

Johnson focused his speech on a reflection of his time at the university as he challenged graduates to uphold high expectations and standards for their careers.

He was not available for comment after the ceremony.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...