No. 14 Miami to face No. 24 Wisconsin in Champ Sports Bowl

Coach Randy Shannon announces the invitation to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, FL, Dec. 29 at 8 p.m. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

The No. 14 University of Miami will culminate its 2009 season in the Champ Sports Bowl against No. 24 Wisconsin on Dec. 29 at 8 p.m.

The game will be played in Orlando at the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium and be televised on ESPN.

“There is a lot of excitement,” said head coach Randy Shannon. “We felt if we couldn’t go to a BCS bowl game, the Champs [Sports Bowl] was the next best thing. I know the TV ratings are going to be high and there will probably be standing room only. We have an opportunity to get our fifth non-conference win.”

The Canes (9-3, 5-3) will look for their first 10 win season since 2003. The Badgers (9-3, 5-3) finished tied for fourth in the Big 10.

This is Miami’s first ever appearance in the Champ Sports Bowl. Miami is 2-1 all-time against the Badgers. The last time these two squads met was 20 years ago when UM crushed the Badgers in Madison, Wisconsin 51-3.

Continue logging on to themiamihurricane.com for the latest bowl information, news and analysis.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=122″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Justin Antweil

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...