No. 14 Miami to face No. 24 Wisconsin in Champ Sports Bowl

Coach Randy Shannon announces the invitation to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, FL, Dec. 29 at 8 p.m. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

The No. 14 University of Miami will culminate its 2009 season in the Champ Sports Bowl against No. 24 Wisconsin on Dec. 29 at 8 p.m.

The game will be played in Orlando at the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium and be televised on ESPN.

“There is a lot of excitement,” said head coach Randy Shannon. “We felt if we couldn’t go to a BCS bowl game, the Champs [Sports Bowl] was the next best thing. I know the TV ratings are going to be high and there will probably be standing room only. We have an opportunity to get our fifth non-conference win.”

The Canes (9-3, 5-3) will look for their first 10 win season since 2003. The Badgers (9-3, 5-3) finished tied for fourth in the Big 10.

This is Miami’s first ever appearance in the Champ Sports Bowl. Miami is 2-1 all-time against the Badgers. The last time these two squads met was 20 years ago when UM crushed the Badgers in Madison, Wisconsin 51-3.

Continue logging on to themiamihurricane.com for the latest bowl information, news and analysis.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=122″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Justin Antweil

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...