Volleyball

Canes lose to FIU in NCAA Tournament

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke in which Duke won with a final score of 3-0. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team. Jesse Swanson // File Photo

The University of Miami Hurricanes volleyball team lost to FIU in a thrilling five set match (16-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-27, 11-15) in Gainesville, Florida Thursday night.

Miami (18-13) had two match points in the fourth set but were unable to prevail as the Golden Panthers (32-3) went on a 4-1 run to end the fourth set and carried the momentum in to the fifth set.

This was UM’s first NCAA tournament appearance in volleyball since 2002.

Sophomore outside-hitter Lane Carico was valiant in a losing effort tallying 21 kills and 15 digs.

Earlier today Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Canes lose to FIU in NCAA Tournament”

1. Myah Gonzalez says:

Man, just looking at this picture amazes me. Im only 15 and have played for a little over 5 years, and have been a Miami Hurricane Fan for my WHOLE life. Playing volleyball for University Of Miami is certenatly a dream i hope to accomplish!(: Go Get’em Next Time Canes!(:

2. Ashley Alfred says:

I don’t even know if I am a student yet, but we surely can do better than FIU :). As a Hurricane hopeful, I have faith in my Canes :D. We got it next time!

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...