Volleyball

Canes lose to FIU in NCAA Tournament

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke in which Duke won with a final score of 3-0. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team. Jesse Swanson // File Photo

The University of Miami Hurricanes volleyball team lost to FIU in a thrilling five set match (16-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-27, 11-15) in Gainesville, Florida Thursday night.

Miami (18-13) had two match points in the fourth set but were unable to prevail as the Golden Panthers (32-3) went on a 4-1 run to end the fourth set and carried the momentum in to the fifth set.

This was UM’s first NCAA tournament appearance in volleyball since 2002.

Sophomore outside-hitter Lane Carico was valiant in a losing effort tallying 21 kills and 15 digs.

Earlier today Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...