Morris takes over as baseball coach

NEW COACH: Jim Morris, 43, became the Hurricanes' eighth baseball coach Thursday. A former utility player in the Boston Red Sox organization and a Florida State assistant, Morris fills the position vacated when Brad Kelley resigned Sept. 3 (1993).

By Jason Molinet

For the third time in as many months, the University of Miami baseball team has a new head coach. Jim Morris was named the Hurricanes eighth baseball coach Thursday in an afternoon press conference at the Hecht Athletic Center.

Morris left his 12-year coaching stint at Georgia Tech University behind him when he was offered the job by Miami Athletic Director Paul Dee Wednesday morning.

“We at the University of Miami are proud of the fact that we have conducted a search and were able to attract the talent of people from around the country that we’re able to attract,” Dee said. “There wasn’t a coach that we had any interest in that wasn’t tremendously interested in this job. This is truly one of the great intercollegiate coaching jobs.”

Morris was among two finalists for the job. Long Beach State University Coach Dave Snow was also being considered. The Miami Hurricane reported Snow would receive the job in its Oct. 19 issue.

“It’s been a relief to have a head coach already,” said infielder Luis “Whico” Hernandez. “It has been a long eight weeks. Coach (Turtle) Thomas has done an excellent job. We’re just all eager to have a coach and ready to get out on the field Tuesday.”

Thomas, the Hurricanes interim coach, will remain a part of Morris’ staff. The position opened when Brad Kelley resigned on Sept. 3. Kelley, a longtime UM assistant under Ron Fraser, took the job last season when Fraser retired after 30 seasons at Miami. He led the Hurricanes to a 33-22 mark, but the team was eliminated after two games at the NCAA South 1 regionals last June. Morris, meanwhile, guided the Yellow Jackets to a 47-14 record last season and earned the top seed at the NCAA Atlantic Regional.

“I know we’re starting practice Tuesday and I can’t wait to get started,” said Morris, who arrived in Miami Thursday. “I don’t know exactly where we’re practicing at, but I’m very excited about starting and seeing this club and getting ready for next season.”

Jason Molinet graduated from UM in 1996 with a BA in history. He was the sports editor for The Hurricane in 1993. He has spent 11 years covering sports for New York Newsday as a multimedia journalist.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...