Dylan shines through rain

By: Byron K. Warren

On Nov. 8, the generation gap was bridged on the University of Miami patio when Bob Dylan performed a live concert in front of more than 1,250 people. It was a rare occasion for the artist as well as the students and faculty of the University.

Dylan went on stage about 5:30 p.m. in the middle of what threatened to be one of those long, never-ending Miami rains. Surprisingly, the constant sprinkle throughout the show did not affect Dylan’s performance at all.

When it began raining, the backstage crew was actually packing equipment and clearing a path for Dylan to leave the stage. Many crew members said they were surprised Dylan continued the performance.

“Fifteen minutes into the show during the rain, Dylan could have walked off,” said Matt Kronsberg, chairman of Hurricane Productions. “He just kept playing.”

Dylan played for more than one and a half hours, performing a number of well-known classics including “All Along the Watchtower” and “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall.”

Most of the concert consisted of Dylan and the band switching back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars. The best portions of the show were the acoustic moments with Dylan and his best friends, his harmonica and acoustic guitar.

Later in the concert, Dylan expanded his acoustic set with another acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. Dylan was backed by a five-piece band including two drummers, two guitarists and a bass player.

Dylan stopped playing around 7:30 p.m. after telling the crowd that the concert had actually ended 20 minutes ago, but he was still playing the encore.

Opening for Dylan was Miami folk singer Mary Karlzen. Mary was backed up by Forget the Name’s rhythm section including Derek Murphy on drums and Jose Tillan on bass. Also present in the Mary Karlzen band was Nuclear Valdez guitarist Jorge Barcala.

“[It was] kind of nerve wracking,” Karlzen said. Karlzen said she was not completely satisfied with her performance, but added that all the production surrounding the show made her nervous.

Kronsberg said he was pleased with Dylan and Karlzen and with the work that went into producing the show.

“It was a great performance and everyone involved went above and beyond their call of duty,” Kronsberg said after the show.

Similar to Lollapalooza, the Dylan show was not just an ordinary concert. It was also an educational event at which several organizations set up tables to provide information to students and faculty who attended the concert. EarthAlert, Amnesty International, Aware, Best Buddies and the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Community were among the organizations present at the concert.

Byron K. Warren was an entertainment writer for The Miami Hurricane in 1992.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...