Dylan shines through rain

By: Byron K. Warren

On Nov. 8, the generation gap was bridged on the University of Miami patio when Bob Dylan performed a live concert in front of more than 1,250 people. It was a rare occasion for the artist as well as the students and faculty of the University.

Dylan went on stage about 5:30 p.m. in the middle of what threatened to be one of those long, never-ending Miami rains. Surprisingly, the constant sprinkle throughout the show did not affect Dylan’s performance at all.

When it began raining, the backstage crew was actually packing equipment and clearing a path for Dylan to leave the stage. Many crew members said they were surprised Dylan continued the performance.

“Fifteen minutes into the show during the rain, Dylan could have walked off,” said Matt Kronsberg, chairman of Hurricane Productions. “He just kept playing.”

Dylan played for more than one and a half hours, performing a number of well-known classics including “All Along the Watchtower” and “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall.”

Most of the concert consisted of Dylan and the band switching back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars. The best portions of the show were the acoustic moments with Dylan and his best friends, his harmonica and acoustic guitar.

Later in the concert, Dylan expanded his acoustic set with another acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. Dylan was backed by a five-piece band including two drummers, two guitarists and a bass player.

Dylan stopped playing around 7:30 p.m. after telling the crowd that the concert had actually ended 20 minutes ago, but he was still playing the encore.

Opening for Dylan was Miami folk singer Mary Karlzen. Mary was backed up by Forget the Name’s rhythm section including Derek Murphy on drums and Jose Tillan on bass. Also present in the Mary Karlzen band was Nuclear Valdez guitarist Jorge Barcala.

“[It was] kind of nerve wracking,” Karlzen said. Karlzen said she was not completely satisfied with her performance, but added that all the production surrounding the show made her nervous.

Kronsberg said he was pleased with Dylan and Karlzen and with the work that went into producing the show.

“It was a great performance and everyone involved went above and beyond their call of duty,” Kronsberg said after the show.

Similar to Lollapalooza, the Dylan show was not just an ordinary concert. It was also an educational event at which several organizations set up tables to provide information to students and faculty who attended the concert. EarthAlert, Amnesty International, Aware, Best Buddies and the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Community were among the organizations present at the concert.

Byron K. Warren was an entertainment writer for The Miami Hurricane in 1992.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...