Dylan shines through rain

By: Byron K. Warren

On Nov. 8, the generation gap was bridged on the University of Miami patio when Bob Dylan performed a live concert in front of more than 1,250 people. It was a rare occasion for the artist as well as the students and faculty of the University.

Dylan went on stage about 5:30 p.m. in the middle of what threatened to be one of those long, never-ending Miami rains. Surprisingly, the constant sprinkle throughout the show did not affect Dylan’s performance at all.

When it began raining, the backstage crew was actually packing equipment and clearing a path for Dylan to leave the stage. Many crew members said they were surprised Dylan continued the performance.

“Fifteen minutes into the show during the rain, Dylan could have walked off,” said Matt Kronsberg, chairman of Hurricane Productions. “He just kept playing.”

Dylan played for more than one and a half hours, performing a number of well-known classics including “All Along the Watchtower” and “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall.”

Most of the concert consisted of Dylan and the band switching back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars. The best portions of the show were the acoustic moments with Dylan and his best friends, his harmonica and acoustic guitar.

Later in the concert, Dylan expanded his acoustic set with another acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. Dylan was backed by a five-piece band including two drummers, two guitarists and a bass player.

Dylan stopped playing around 7:30 p.m. after telling the crowd that the concert had actually ended 20 minutes ago, but he was still playing the encore.

Opening for Dylan was Miami folk singer Mary Karlzen. Mary was backed up by Forget the Name’s rhythm section including Derek Murphy on drums and Jose Tillan on bass. Also present in the Mary Karlzen band was Nuclear Valdez guitarist Jorge Barcala.

“[It was] kind of nerve wracking,” Karlzen said. Karlzen said she was not completely satisfied with her performance, but added that all the production surrounding the show made her nervous.

Kronsberg said he was pleased with Dylan and Karlzen and with the work that went into producing the show.

“It was a great performance and everyone involved went above and beyond their call of duty,” Kronsberg said after the show.

Similar to Lollapalooza, the Dylan show was not just an ordinary concert. It was also an educational event at which several organizations set up tables to provide information to students and faculty who attended the concert. EarthAlert, Amnesty International, Aware, Best Buddies and the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Community were among the organizations present at the concert.

Byron K. Warren was an entertainment writer for The Miami Hurricane in 1992.

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...