Dylan shines through rain

By: Byron K. Warren

On Nov. 8, the generation gap was bridged on the University of Miami patio when Bob Dylan performed a live concert in front of more than 1,250 people. It was a rare occasion for the artist as well as the students and faculty of the University.

Dylan went on stage about 5:30 p.m. in the middle of what threatened to be one of those long, never-ending Miami rains. Surprisingly, the constant sprinkle throughout the show did not affect Dylan’s performance at all.

When it began raining, the backstage crew was actually packing equipment and clearing a path for Dylan to leave the stage. Many crew members said they were surprised Dylan continued the performance.

“Fifteen minutes into the show during the rain, Dylan could have walked off,” said Matt Kronsberg, chairman of Hurricane Productions. “He just kept playing.”

Dylan played for more than one and a half hours, performing a number of well-known classics including “All Along the Watchtower” and “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall.”

Most of the concert consisted of Dylan and the band switching back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars. The best portions of the show were the acoustic moments with Dylan and his best friends, his harmonica and acoustic guitar.

Later in the concert, Dylan expanded his acoustic set with another acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. Dylan was backed by a five-piece band including two drummers, two guitarists and a bass player.

Dylan stopped playing around 7:30 p.m. after telling the crowd that the concert had actually ended 20 minutes ago, but he was still playing the encore.

Opening for Dylan was Miami folk singer Mary Karlzen. Mary was backed up by Forget the Name’s rhythm section including Derek Murphy on drums and Jose Tillan on bass. Also present in the Mary Karlzen band was Nuclear Valdez guitarist Jorge Barcala.

“[It was] kind of nerve wracking,” Karlzen said. Karlzen said she was not completely satisfied with her performance, but added that all the production surrounding the show made her nervous.

Kronsberg said he was pleased with Dylan and Karlzen and with the work that went into producing the show.

“It was a great performance and everyone involved went above and beyond their call of duty,” Kronsberg said after the show.

Similar to Lollapalooza, the Dylan show was not just an ordinary concert. It was also an educational event at which several organizations set up tables to provide information to students and faculty who attended the concert. EarthAlert, Amnesty International, Aware, Best Buddies and the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Community were among the organizations present at the concert.

Byron K. Warren was an entertainment writer for The Miami Hurricane in 1992.

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...