Dylan shines through rain

By: Byron K. Warren

On Nov. 8, the generation gap was bridged on the University of Miami patio when Bob Dylan performed a live concert in front of more than 1,250 people. It was a rare occasion for the artist as well as the students and faculty of the University.

Dylan went on stage about 5:30 p.m. in the middle of what threatened to be one of those long, never-ending Miami rains. Surprisingly, the constant sprinkle throughout the show did not affect Dylan’s performance at all.

When it began raining, the backstage crew was actually packing equipment and clearing a path for Dylan to leave the stage. Many crew members said they were surprised Dylan continued the performance.

“Fifteen minutes into the show during the rain, Dylan could have walked off,” said Matt Kronsberg, chairman of Hurricane Productions. “He just kept playing.”

Dylan played for more than one and a half hours, performing a number of well-known classics including “All Along the Watchtower” and “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall.”

Most of the concert consisted of Dylan and the band switching back and forth between acoustic and electric guitars. The best portions of the show were the acoustic moments with Dylan and his best friends, his harmonica and acoustic guitar.

Later in the concert, Dylan expanded his acoustic set with another acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. Dylan was backed by a five-piece band including two drummers, two guitarists and a bass player.

Dylan stopped playing around 7:30 p.m. after telling the crowd that the concert had actually ended 20 minutes ago, but he was still playing the encore.

Opening for Dylan was Miami folk singer Mary Karlzen. Mary was backed up by Forget the Name’s rhythm section including Derek Murphy on drums and Jose Tillan on bass. Also present in the Mary Karlzen band was Nuclear Valdez guitarist Jorge Barcala.

“[It was] kind of nerve wracking,” Karlzen said. Karlzen said she was not completely satisfied with her performance, but added that all the production surrounding the show made her nervous.

Kronsberg said he was pleased with Dylan and Karlzen and with the work that went into producing the show.

“It was a great performance and everyone involved went above and beyond their call of duty,” Kronsberg said after the show.

Similar to Lollapalooza, the Dylan show was not just an ordinary concert. It was also an educational event at which several organizations set up tables to provide information to students and faculty who attended the concert. EarthAlert, Amnesty International, Aware, Best Buddies and the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Community were among the organizations present at the concert.

Byron K. Warren was an entertainment writer for The Miami Hurricane in 1992.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...