Dr. Ashe Opens New WIOD Studio

A speech by Dr. B. F. Ashe Monday morning marked the opening of a new WIOD studio in room 284 of the university. Dr. Ashe stated that universities are beginning to realize the growing importance of radio in the educational service which it is possible to give a community, and the programs to be presented have been made possible though the generosity and cooperation of radio station WIOD.

Every member of the university faculty will be in the program during the year, and student activities will be broadcast by the students. The program will include, as a rule, short talks followed by musical numbers. Bertha Foster, dean of the School of Music, has arranged a series of musical programs including vocal solos, duets, trios and quartets, as well as chorus numbers, chamber music with trios, string quartets, horn quartets, piano, violin and cello solos and acts from operas will be given.

Among the speakers will be Dr. Orton Lowe, who will speak on English and foreign literature and give readings from different poets. Dr. Belaunde will speak in both English and Spanish on subjects dealing with Central and South America. Dr. Gilbert, Dr. Sieplein and E. Morton Miller will talk at various times on soils, plants and other subjects relating to South Florida.

Mr. Franklin Harris will have charge of the department created to care for the radio programs. The University of Miami is one of the first universities in the United States to broadcast a daily radio education program. Gilbert Bramaghin will announce all programs.

In 1930 The Miami Hurricane did not publish writers’ names.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...