Not for Granted

1386223150_4df6d9b867It seems that Governor Charlie Crist is not taking anything in the Florida Senate primary race for granted – and rightfully so.

Yesterday he addressed the Broward County Republican party to affirm his conservative credentials in the state and reassure key party activists that, contrary to challenger Marco Rubio’s criticisms, he is not a liberal.

However, it’s inevitable to notice that Governor Crist is part of a dying species of moderate Republicans. He considers himself pro-life, pro-gun, and anti-tax, but his supporters are reexaming his real political allegiance after heavily campaigning alongside President Barack Obama earlier this year to rally public opinion in favor of the American Recovery Act.

While Rubio continues to paint the Governor as a flaky liberal Republican, Crist is responding by making appeals to voters’ uncertainty about such a young radical.

That’s something he can’t escape. At 38 years of age, and with such an ambitious conservative agenda, Rubio has moderate Republicans and independents uncomfortable with his absolutist, anti-government platform. Rubio has positioned himself as an uncompromising ideological crusader, desecrating the popular governor’s proposals whenever possible without proposing appealing alternative ideas.

And that’s why he will lose the election.

Although the radical conservative base in Florida will support Rubio in the primary, it will be moderates and independents that will demand forward-thinking politicians and not haphazard, obstructionist ideologues. Instead of an aimless beating of the Obama administration, mainstream voters in 2010 will demand fresh ideas that are more enticing alternatives to Democratic proposals.

If Rubio can persuasively pitch positive ideas to party moderates and independents, he will finalize the most monumental political upset in state history. Until then, a dirty campaign will lead to a messy election, and Crist’s perception of integrity is what has ultimately made him such a popular governor among moderate Floridians.

According to a poll conducted by Daily Kos, Democrat Kendrick Meek would decisively defeat Rubio in a general election. He’d be swept if Republicans choose Crist in 2010, however.

The poll also reports that 73% of Republicans who believe President Obama was born in America would vote for the governor, while only 16% would vote for Rubio. Crist is defeated among “birther” Republicans who do not believe Obama is an American citizen.

Kyle Munzenrieder at the Miami New Times puts it best: WTF PEOPLE?

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...