Not for Granted

1386223150_4df6d9b867It seems that Governor Charlie Crist is not taking anything in the Florida Senate primary race for granted – and rightfully so.

Yesterday he addressed the Broward County Republican party to affirm his conservative credentials in the state and reassure key party activists that, contrary to challenger Marco Rubio’s criticisms, he is not a liberal.

However, it’s inevitable to notice that Governor Crist is part of a dying species of moderate Republicans. He considers himself pro-life, pro-gun, and anti-tax, but his supporters are reexaming his real political allegiance after heavily campaigning alongside President Barack Obama earlier this year to rally public opinion in favor of the American Recovery Act.

While Rubio continues to paint the Governor as a flaky liberal Republican, Crist is responding by making appeals to voters’ uncertainty about such a young radical.

That’s something he can’t escape. At 38 years of age, and with such an ambitious conservative agenda, Rubio has moderate Republicans and independents uncomfortable with his absolutist, anti-government platform. Rubio has positioned himself as an uncompromising ideological crusader, desecrating the popular governor’s proposals whenever possible without proposing appealing alternative ideas.

And that’s why he will lose the election.

Although the radical conservative base in Florida will support Rubio in the primary, it will be moderates and independents that will demand forward-thinking politicians and not haphazard, obstructionist ideologues. Instead of an aimless beating of the Obama administration, mainstream voters in 2010 will demand fresh ideas that are more enticing alternatives to Democratic proposals.

If Rubio can persuasively pitch positive ideas to party moderates and independents, he will finalize the most monumental political upset in state history. Until then, a dirty campaign will lead to a messy election, and Crist’s perception of integrity is what has ultimately made him such a popular governor among moderate Floridians.

According to a poll conducted by Daily Kos, Democrat Kendrick Meek would decisively defeat Rubio in a general election. He’d be swept if Republicans choose Crist in 2010, however.

The poll also reports that 73% of Republicans who believe President Obama was born in America would vote for the governor, while only 16% would vote for Rubio. Crist is defeated among “birther” Republicans who do not believe Obama is an American citizen.

Kyle Munzenrieder at the Miami New Times puts it best: WTF PEOPLE?

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...