The Blind Side far from groundbreaking but incredibly touching

The plot of The Blind Side comes dangerously close to becoming a huge cliché yet somehow never manages to cross that line. The story of an underprivileged, athletically gifted boy from the projects and the wealthy Southern family who adopts him could have been a typical, saccharine star vehicle for its lead – in this case, Sandra Bullock – but in the case of The Blind Side, it is genuinely moving.

Sandra Bullock stars as Leigh Ann Tuohy, a lady who lunches in Memphis. Her son befriends Michael Oher, a boy from the aptly titled “Hurt Village” projects, and she takes him into her home upon realizing he has nothing. The Blind Side is based on a true story, and if viewers know anything about football, they know that the Baltimore Ravens drafted Oher. If it’s a bit of a cliché, at least it’s real life.

Bullock’s Tennessee accent is more than serviceable, and it’s hilarious to watch her teeter around in stilettos and run things at football practice and in the projects. Quinton Aaron blossoms in the role of Michael, but Jae Head steals the entire film as S.J. Tuohy, Bullock’s outrageously perceptive son.

Being a film that seems to be crafted explicitly for the holiday season, The Blind Side contains its fair share of trite “Hollywood” moments. Bullock’s character seems to single handedly take on racism in Memphis and her marriage to Sean (Tim McGraw, branching out from country music) seems to be the most perfect marriage in history.

Despite these flaws, The Blind Side is incredibly touching. It isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but it succeeds wildly as a sweet, sentimental film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Quinton Aaron

Directed By: John Lee Hancock

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...