The Blind Side far from groundbreaking but incredibly touching

The plot of The Blind Side comes dangerously close to becoming a huge cliché yet somehow never manages to cross that line. The story of an underprivileged, athletically gifted boy from the projects and the wealthy Southern family who adopts him could have been a typical, saccharine star vehicle for its lead – in this case, Sandra Bullock – but in the case of The Blind Side, it is genuinely moving.

Sandra Bullock stars as Leigh Ann Tuohy, a lady who lunches in Memphis. Her son befriends Michael Oher, a boy from the aptly titled “Hurt Village” projects, and she takes him into her home upon realizing he has nothing. The Blind Side is based on a true story, and if viewers know anything about football, they know that the Baltimore Ravens drafted Oher. If it’s a bit of a cliché, at least it’s real life.

Bullock’s Tennessee accent is more than serviceable, and it’s hilarious to watch her teeter around in stilettos and run things at football practice and in the projects. Quinton Aaron blossoms in the role of Michael, but Jae Head steals the entire film as S.J. Tuohy, Bullock’s outrageously perceptive son.

Being a film that seems to be crafted explicitly for the holiday season, The Blind Side contains its fair share of trite “Hollywood” moments. Bullock’s character seems to single handedly take on racism in Memphis and her marriage to Sean (Tim McGraw, branching out from country music) seems to be the most perfect marriage in history.

Despite these flaws, The Blind Side is incredibly touching. It isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but it succeeds wildly as a sweet, sentimental film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Quinton Aaron

Directed By: John Lee Hancock

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...