Restaurant Review: Torange

Nestled on a street corner near Miracle Mile, Torange Restaurant provides a rare chance for those living in Coral Gables to sample Iranian cuisine. Owned and operated by a couple from Tehran, the small restaurant offers an authentic menu and a comfortable ambiance.

Complimentary baskets of warm pita bread and little cups of mast-o-moosier (yogurt with shallots) are staples at Torange. Other appetizers include the popular kashk bademjan (eggplant spread) and dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves). Salad shirazi is a typical Iranian salad: diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and different herbs.

The highlight of every Iranian restaurant is its selection of chelow kabob (a combination of rice and grilled kabob) and Torange has a full slate. Koobideh (ground beef) serves as the cheapest and most popular kabob option, but kabob barg (sliced beef tenderloin) and joojeh kabob (chicken breast) provide a more refined meal at a slightly more expensive cost.  All skewers of kabob are served over a mound of white rice (with saffron), and grilled tomatoes are served on the side. No Iranian meal is complete without a cup of chai (hot tea) afterward.

Torange provides a unique opportunity to experiment with tasty ethnic cuisine only a short distance from campus. While dinner prices are a bit steep ($14.99 for kabob barg, $7.99 for kashk bademjan appetizer) for a college budget, cheap lunch specials are offered during the day. For fantastic service, a warm environment and delicious Iranian fare, head to Miracle Mile and try this Middle Eastern gem.

If You Go:

What: Torange Restaurant

Where: 1831 Ponce De Leon Boulevard, near Miracle Mile

When: Monday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 12:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Price: Lunch – $10-12, Dinner – $18-20

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...