Rate your professors

Compared to sorting through piles of papers feet high, the new online course evaluation system has made life much easier for the members of the University of Miami Testing Center.

With every school at UM now participating to some capacity, the testing center is looking forward to the latest series of student responses using the online system established only three years ago.

“Before the change, we were just using the scannable forms of paper-based evaluation, the latest of which was used for some 20 odd years,” said Dr. David Wiles, the executive director of the Testing Center.

After instituting a pilot program three years ago, different schools elected to begin using the new online version at various times. Among the first to begin using the system were the School of Nursing and Frost School of Music.

“There really were stacks of paper all over the place,” said Dr. Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research. “Now the effort is mostly dealing with making sure everything is set up in advance online.”

Several immediate benefits to making the move online have already proved helpful to the Testing Center. There has been increased customization of the surveys, allowing for more representative information that schools can use to better their programs. In addition, it allows students the latitude of deciding when to complete the survey.

“We have found that students are volunteering more information and more complete information about the course than they were before,” Wiles said.

Initially, the new online system did see a decrease in response rates, typically about a 15 percent drop. However, in order to help encourage participation last spring, students who filled out course evaluations were able to see their grades earlier. Since then, response rates have climbed back up to similar levels of what schools saw before the move online.

Besides making it easier for both students and faculty, the switch to the online version has helped save the school an exorbitant amount of money and paper. The school typically sorted through over 40,000 surveys in paper form, not including the open-ended comments or any other documents.

These evaluations are taken exceptionally seriously by faculty and are often used as a basis for both promotion and tenure for faculty.

“We just want students to recognize that it’s important enough to the University that the feedback is used in evaluating faculty members,” Sapp said.

With increased awareness, the Testing Center hopes that more students will participate in completing their course evaluations and will act as though it is a meaningful exercise.

“Students should be aware of this prior to completing the survey so they take it more seriously,” sophomore Eric Casella said.

Senior Ignacio Jiménez thinks the use of these evaluations shows the University’s attitude toward students.

“If these surveys are really used to evaluate faculty, then the school thinks very highly of our opinion,” he said.

Evaluations begin next Monday, after Thanksgiving and end shortly before Christmas.

Bryan Sheriff may be contacted at bsheriff@themiamihurricane.com.

Bryan Sheriff

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...