Our Opinion: Creative security solutions needed

On Saturday at approximately 3:30 a.m. a woman in her twenties was threatened at gunpoint and raped in Coconut Grove. The incident took place near Mary and Virginia streets and was not the first time such an event occurred.

On Halloween another woman in her twenties was raped by an attacker fitting a similar description: black male, medium build, approximately 5 feet 7 inches and 175 pounds.

University of Miami students who go out to the Grove at night should take additional safety precautions and not travel alone. Anything can happen, even in Coral Gables as evidenced by the street sweeper accident involving junior Bianca Milov earlier this semester.

Don’t leave friends behind and travel in groups, especially as the night winds down and the witching hour approaches. Be smart about going out and make sure at least one other person knows where you are at all times.

Rave Mobile Safety offers a service that could help address these safety issues. The Rave Guardian system transforms students’ cellular phones into personal safety devices with a panic call feature and special safety timer mode; students can turn on the alarm while walking home and local police are alerted if the student is unable to turn it off. Both features would allow students who feel unsafe a way to get help immediately and could prove integral if such safety issues escalate.

Regardless of whether a new security protocol is put in place, students and security need to get creative with solutions as incidents continue to occur on and around campus.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...