Our Opinion: Creative security solutions needed

On Saturday at approximately 3:30 a.m. a woman in her twenties was threatened at gunpoint and raped in Coconut Grove. The incident took place near Mary and Virginia streets and was not the first time such an event occurred.

On Halloween another woman in her twenties was raped by an attacker fitting a similar description: black male, medium build, approximately 5 feet 7 inches and 175 pounds.

University of Miami students who go out to the Grove at night should take additional safety precautions and not travel alone. Anything can happen, even in Coral Gables as evidenced by the street sweeper accident involving junior Bianca Milov earlier this semester.

Don’t leave friends behind and travel in groups, especially as the night winds down and the witching hour approaches. Be smart about going out and make sure at least one other person knows where you are at all times.

Rave Mobile Safety offers a service that could help address these safety issues. The Rave Guardian system transforms students’ cellular phones into personal safety devices with a panic call feature and special safety timer mode; students can turn on the alarm while walking home and local police are alerted if the student is unable to turn it off. Both features would allow students who feel unsafe a way to get help immediately and could prove integral if such safety issues escalate.

Regardless of whether a new security protocol is put in place, students and security need to get creative with solutions as incidents continue to occur on and around campus.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...