Basketball

Men’s Basketball Wins Charleston Classic

For the second time in the last three years the University of Miami Men’s basketball squad (5-0) won an early season tournament. UM defeated South Carolina in the championship game Sunday night 85-70.

Despite the fact that the Canes committed 23 turnovers, they out rebounded the Game Cocks 57-31. Tournament MVP, senior Dwayne Collins, led all players with 15 rebounds and recorded his 16th career double-double has he added 17 points as well.

“It feels great to win,” head coach Frank Haith said. “We hung in there after a slow start. We finally got in a rhythm. Everyone contributed which is what I like to see. We do not have one go to guy like a Jack McClinton but I do consider our center piece to be Dwayne Collins.”

Senior James Dews scored a career-high 22 points on 8-for-11 shooting in the finale.

The Canes were down 18-11 early in the first half but responded by going on an 11-0 run thanks to redshirt freshman Reggie Johnson’s spark. The 6’10” 295 pound center lost 30 pounds this offseason thanks to a strict off season conditioning program and eating healthier.

Collins was excellent in the opening round game against Tulane Thursday afternoon. He carried the Canes to a 74-54 victory has tallied 22 points and 14 rebounds.

Friday afternoon redshirt sophomore Malcolm Grant scored a career high 18 points as the orange and green defeated UNC Wilmington 67-60. Senior Cyrus McGowan had a well rounded game grabbing nine rebounds, nine points and blocking a career high five shots.

The Hurricanes take on Florida Gulf Coast Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

“I told these guys that we have to stay focused,” Haith said. “All the hard work will be lost if we don’t come out strong this week. These games are important.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...