CD Review: 50 Cent’s fourth album should have stuck with the plan

Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson is a marketing genius. Since his mainstream arrival in 2003 with the album Get Rich or Die Tryin,’ 50 has repeatedly executed successful advertising strategies centered upon drama and adversity. While 50’s initial intrigue was his survival after getting shot nine times, he has since taken to initiating feuds with notable rappers within the music industry (seemingly as a means to entertain his fans and in doing so to garner promotion). 50 Cent’s fourth album Before I Self Destruct follows the exact same formula. Throughout the past year 50 and Miami’s own Rick Ross have engaged in an ongoing war of words resulting in a barrage of insulting songs and deprecating internet videos. Recently, 50 has even begun attacking Jay-Z alongside one of Jay’s disgruntled former label mates, Beanie Sigel.

Unfortunately for 50 Cent, however, having quality promotion doesn’t result in quality music.  While Before I Self Destruct plays to 50’s strengths (catchy choruses, braggadocios lyrics and his confrontational persona), his lack of versatility ultimately makes the album redundant and boring. Thirteen out of the album’s 16 tracks are either about how menacing he is, how much money he has or about his drug dealing past. Despite excellent production from Dr. Dre, Rockwilder, Dj Khalil and others, lyrically the content has much to be desired. That being said, it does have some stand-out tracks including the Eminem-assisted “Psycho” and the aggressively arrogant “So Disrespectful,” the emotional “Do You Think About Me” and the fun “Could’ve Been You” featuring R. Kelly.

Overall Before I Self Destruct does not stray far from 50’s previous albums. The lack of experimentation on his newest record is an unsuccesful attempt at rekindling the success he achieved in the past.Until 50 can successfully re-discover a way of making music which doesn’t sound contrived, he might be better suited Getting Rich as a Marketer for Interscope Records, and not as an artist.

Rating:                                     2.75/4

Label:                                     Interscope/Aftermath/Shady/G-Unit

Executive Producer:            Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson

Release Date:                         Nov. 16

Andrew Finkelstein

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...