‘Coco Before Chanel’ plods through designer’s life

Coco Before Chanel has a little too much in common with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The film, starring Audrey Tatou, is simply an origins story that’s a bit chicer than its superhero counterpart, thanks in part to Tatou’s performance. Otherwise, it’s pretty much the same film: a biopic in which events transpire but nothing ever really happens.

Coco Before Chanel tells the story of world-famous French designer Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel before she became famous. Her journey from an orphanage to being a kept woman and budding designer is something that should be incredibly compelling. So little is known about Chanel’s formative years that director Anne Fontaine should have come up with something better than the end result, which is a film that relies too heavily on its magnificent lead actress.

Tatou, true to form, is fantastic in the role of Coco Chanel. She is the only part of the film to indicate simply how Chanel would revolutionize the fashion world; she is androgynous, beautiful, petulant and forceful. When Alessandro Nivola appears onscreen as Arthur “Boy” Capel, Chanel’s doting lover, the film takes off; their chemistry is smoldering, but when Nivola leaves, the film reverts back to doing what it does best: remaining stagnant. Tatou and Nivola can’t raise Coco Before Chanel to new heights, but their scenes together are the best in the film.

Rating: 2/4 stars

Starring: Audrey Tatou, Benoît Poelvoorde, Alessandro Nivola

Directed By: Anne Fontaine

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...