Shooting reported on Coral Gables campus

UMPD surveillance

A vehicle occupied by four individuals, two white males in the front seat and two white females in the rear seat, drove through the Coral Gables Campus around the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall/ Wellness Center areas and fired a BB gun multiple times from a rolled down window. Image taken from UMPD surveillance.

An Emergency Notification Network alert was sent to the members of the University of Miami community around 2:42 p.m. warning them of a shooting on the Coral Gables campus.

The warnings were sent out minutes after the shooting according to University of Miami Police Department Chief David Rivero.

“It’s unfortunate that these kids were on our campus doing that,” he said. “We are still trying to piece it together. Hopefully we will have a good resolution pretty soon.”

The campus was put on lock down after a shooting occurred involving a BB gun.

“A BB can take out an eye, it can do a lot of danger,” Rivero said.

The message did not include the site of the shooting becasue of limtied characters.

UMPD gave the “all clear”  at 3:44 p.m. when a text message was received that said the subjects had been apprehended and that the lock down had been lifted.

The first text alert asked members of the community to “go/remain indoors, lock all doors/windows, stay away from windows and do not open locked doors for anyone.”

According to a secretary at the Wellness Center, the shooting took place on the area near the Hecht/Stanford Dining Hall and the Wellness center.

According to sources, two girls were reportedly shot. This has not been confirmed by UMPD.

A statement released by UMPD described the incident as a drive-by involving 4 individuals in a silver 4-door volvo.

According to the released statement, at approximately 2:30 p.m., two white males in the front seat and two white females in the back seat drove by the area and shot a BB gun multiple times through a rolled-down window.

The campus was secured and operations resumed normally.

Rivero said that UMPD is looking into other services that could be used in place of the Emergency Notification Network.

The statement urged anyone with any information pertaining to the incident, including victims who have not yet come forward, to contact UMPD at (305) 284-6666.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

10 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Shooting reported on Coral Gables campus”

1. Danielle says:

“accoridng to Cheif”

I am more concerned about the quality of the article. Spell check, at least!

2. michelle says:

The headline should include the words BBgun. It sounds like regular bullet shootings (much more serious) took place from the overly sensationalized headlines.

Also sounds like the notification system needs work.

3. Amanda says:

I got a text message twice saying the same thing, and another one when the coast was clear. I also received a couple of emails informing me and the intercom system in the dorms did the same.

4. Steve-O says:

“ON

ARE

CAMPUS”

Come on.

5. El says:

Edwin, Liana, where are you located compared to the location this occurred? I totally understand the concern you share as my daughter is a freshman in Hecht. She was notified in her Dorm via the intercom system immediately. The whole texting thing has some kinks apparently. If it’s not used or tested frequently it’s understandable to have a glitch, but God forbid something serious might happen. I hope UM gets it together and announces a weekly/monthly test, like the radios do! AND not at 5:00 a.m. like Hecht did and that fouled up! I expect top notch security for the price I’m paying!!

6. sam says:

really? a couple kids playing with a bb gun is an emergency?
    – “ohhh but someone could get hurrrrt”

give me a fucking break, a bb gun threatens the entire university, forcing it to be shut down for hours? the politically correct have turned us into a bunch of hysterics

7. matheu says:

I live all the way out here in san diego, california and am regularly getting these updates on my cell phone!! Being a high school student you never know what school they are talking about and so just reading it sometimes scares the heck out of me.

8. Franky says:

The emergency notification system is a huge task that many ignore its implications to make it work for such a large group – It is not perfect and needs tweaking – but it is a great thing to have. Why does everyone want to jump on it – and blame it for what happened? This is just another tool to help us prevent crimes – and surely will get better as we go along. I am sure this learning curve will be rapidly surpassed.

9. Liana says:

I am also a recent alumni and current staff member and did not receive any text messages or emails either, but my supervisor did. They really need to get it together over there.

10. Edwin says:

This Emergency Notification system once again is a failure. As an employee and recent alum, I did not receive one email nor text message, neither did the majority of the people in my dept.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...