Basketball

Impressive opening

Sophomore guard Riquna Williams set a career high by scoring 34 points in the regular season opener Friday night.

The University of Miami men’s basketball team is not the only basketball squad off to a hot start.

The UM women’s basketball team (2-0) beat its first two opponents by an average of 20.5 points. An unlikely sophomore, superstar guard Shenise Johnson, is leading the way and has played well, but guard Riquna Williams has carried the team to victory.

Williams was named ACC Player of the Week after tallying 34 and 30 points against UC Riverside and Cal State Bakersfield respectively. In the contest against Cal State Bakersfield, Williams set a school record making eight three-pointers.

She became the first Hurricane to record back-to-back 30-point games since Tamara James in 2006.

Last year, Williams only averaged 8.7 points per game and had more than twice as many turnovers as assists. This year, the Pahokee, Fla. native is determined to rise to the occasion and take the team to the next level.

Information compiled from Hurricanesports.com.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil