Two armed men seen on campus

University of Miami students woke up to an alarming text message this morning. The message, sent through the Emergency Notification Network at 8:41 a.m., alerted students of two individuals in possession of a gun on campus.

Two males in possession of a handgun were seen around the area of apartment building 36 behind the BankUnited Center at 5:00 a.m., according to a crime alert e-mail sent by the University of Miami Police Department at 10:07 a.m.

“Different offices are meeting right now to gather everything that took place,” said Karla Hernandez, associate director of media relations.

The first subject was described as a light-skinned black male, approximately 20 years old, wearing light gray pants and a white sweatshirt with blue stripes. The second subject was described as a dark-skinned black male, approximately 20 years old, wearing a black sweatshirt and dark pants.

The e-mail identified the first subject as the one in possession of the weapon, while the text pointed to the second subject.

According to the e-mail, a student reported waking up to noise outside his dorm room. When he looked out the window, he saw the subjects, in possession of a gun, talking in the area of building 36. They were seen in front of a green Nissan, although it is unclear if the vehicle was being driven or used by the subjects. They then started to walk towards Walsh Avenue.

After the report was filed, the Emergency Notification Network was activated, the campus locked down and a law enforcement search was initiated. At 8:09 a.m., the lock down was lifted and an “all clear” alert was issued.

“Coral Gables Campus has been checked and is secure,” the text read.

Both messages urged anyone with any information that may lead to the capture of these individuals to contact UMPD at (305) 284-6666 or Crimestoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...