ENN activated after threat detected

Photo illustration by Brittney Bomnin

Photo illustration by Brittney Bomnin

The University of Miami Police Department sent out an alert via the Emergency Notification Network to notify the community about two armed suspects that were on the Coral Gables campus. The initial alert, sent at approximately 8:41 a.m., asked recipients to “be on the look out” for two black male suspects that were “possibly armed with a gun.”

According to reports, university administrators received the first alert before a second went out to students, who were notified at approximately 9:30 a.m. The alerts, however, were issued almost an hour after the sighting of the armed suspects was first reported to police as a potential threat.

UMPD released an e-mail crime alert at 10:07 a.m. stating that the two subjects were seen in the area of apartment building 36 by the BankUnited Center at approximately 5 a.m.

A UM student heard a noise outside of his apartment window and saw the pair before they left in an easterly direction, according to UMPD. The suspects were described as in their 20s, with one sporting light gray pants and a white hooded sweatshirt with thin blue stripes, and the other wearing a black sweatshirt and dark pants.

The e-mail also described an old four-door green Nissan that the subjects were standing in front of when they were spotted. It is unclear whether the vehicle is associated with the suspects. The Coral Gables campus was under lockdown until an “All-Clear” was issued at 8:09 a.m.

“Different offices are meeting right now to gather everything that took place,” said Karla Hernandez, associate director of media relations.

Questions arise, however, regarding the timing of the ENN alert. Over an hour passed between the time the ENN alert  was issued and the moment the police announced the all-clear. Although the ENN’s purpose is to notify the campus about threats and dangerous situations around campus, it is still unknown as to why no original warning was sent out about the two armed suspects when the threat was acknowledged.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

7 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “ENN activated after threat detected”

1. Shell says:

I got the alert around 9:45 and never gto the all clear message. Everythign I found out about it was from the little bit in the text then the email they sent out. Most of my friends got it around the same time and got the all clear message too while one of them never got any of it. UMPD just needs to work on this becuase if soemthign was to be seriously life-threatening and people are finding out about it late then its purposeless to do it 4 hours too late. And majortiy of the people got the message at the same time, not that many people got it around 6-7.

2. paul says:

I also got my first text and call at 6:35am. The story doesn’t say where the information came from. I wonder if the writers of this story even contacted anyone before they wrote this story. If you want to be taken seriously as journalists you have to do serious journalistic work; not just spin up a situation without research.

3. jake says:

I don’t know about you, but I got text messages and phone calls at 6:35, 6:37, 6:42, 7:02 and an all clear at 8:12. It was a little annoying, but I certainly can’t say I wasn’t notified.
    What information did you use to determine when the notification was sent? I wonder if you have bad cell phone service and don’t have a signal if that kept you from getting the notification.

4. Ryan says:

I received my ENN text at 9:44am. What I love is how the ENN was used to warn us about “alleged” armed suspects 4 hours after the threat was all clear. Isn’t the purpose of an emergency notification system to let me know when there is an emergency, not when there is no longer an emergency? If this was the UMPD trying to make up for their absolutely terrible job handling the last incident, they failed miserably this time too. Ineffective use of the ENN is no better, if not worse, than no use at all. I seriously call into question the UMPD’s ability to keep UM students safe. And let’s not even get started on whether or not there were actually any “armed suspects” on campus a few days after the UMPD acted completely without concern for student safety…

5. WTF? says:

I receieved my fake drill text at 9:42…

I’m loving the delay, despite the fact that the entire thing must have been fake.

6. Raymond says:

I dont know about everyone esle but I received the first notification at 06:35 not 08:41. So how is it that The Miami Hurricane recieved the notification at 08:41. I guess my question is when was the acutal time the notification was sent and the time it was recieved b/c its seems as people recieved the notifications at different times.

7. Reader says:

*cough cough* FAKE DRILL *cough cough*

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...