Chiddy Bang no longer kids

What do Belle & Sebastian, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Marry Poppins, MGMT, The Notorious B.I.G., Passion Pit, Sufjan Stevens and Yelle all have in common? They’re all sampled on Chiddy Bang’s debut mix tape, The Swelly Express. And no, Chiddy Bang isn’t a mashup artist in the same light as Girl Talk. They’re a rap/electronica duo consisting of a rapper (Proto) and a producer (Xaphoon Jones).

The mix tape is described as the true story of two Drexel University students from Philadelphia who quickly garnered the attention of “the industry.” Their music was inspired by multiple trips to New York City to meet with record label executives.

To add to the true story feel, there are four skits that add a nice touch to the mix tape.

Lyrically, the 18-track mix tape is top-notch. The up-and-coming rapper, Proto,  possesses a smooth flow with sharp, witty rhymes.

The mix tape’s production is stellar, too. Xaphoon Jones is able to sample multiple genres over superb synth lines.

Some of the standout tracks include the danceable “Truth,” which samples Passion Pit’s “Better Things,” the infectious MGMT sampled “The Opposite of Adults (Kids)” and “All Things Go,” which samples Sufjan Stevens’ indie folk song “Chicago.”

It’s amazing that these two young adults were freshmen in college just one year ago and were able to produce such a cohesive mix tape debut without major label backing.

And while Chiddy Bang is not a mashup artist, Jones just released The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol. 1. His debut mix tape features mashups and mixes that are more eclectic than The Swelly Express.

Rating:  3.75/4 stars

Release Date:  October 29  (Free download of The Swelly Express available at http://www.myspace.com/chiddybang)

Label:  Unsigned

Production:  Xaphoon Jones

(Free download of The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol.1 available at http://www.prettymuchamazing.com/music/pma-presents-the-xaphoon-jones-mixtape-vol-1)

Ben Wexler

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...