Chiddy Bang no longer kids

What do Belle & Sebastian, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Marry Poppins, MGMT, The Notorious B.I.G., Passion Pit, Sufjan Stevens and Yelle all have in common? They’re all sampled on Chiddy Bang’s debut mix tape, The Swelly Express. And no, Chiddy Bang isn’t a mashup artist in the same light as Girl Talk. They’re a rap/electronica duo consisting of a rapper (Proto) and a producer (Xaphoon Jones).

The mix tape is described as the true story of two Drexel University students from Philadelphia who quickly garnered the attention of “the industry.” Their music was inspired by multiple trips to New York City to meet with record label executives.

To add to the true story feel, there are four skits that add a nice touch to the mix tape.

Lyrically, the 18-track mix tape is top-notch. The up-and-coming rapper, Proto,  possesses a smooth flow with sharp, witty rhymes.

The mix tape’s production is stellar, too. Xaphoon Jones is able to sample multiple genres over superb synth lines.

Some of the standout tracks include the danceable “Truth,” which samples Passion Pit’s “Better Things,” the infectious MGMT sampled “The Opposite of Adults (Kids)” and “All Things Go,” which samples Sufjan Stevens’ indie folk song “Chicago.”

It’s amazing that these two young adults were freshmen in college just one year ago and were able to produce such a cohesive mix tape debut without major label backing.

And while Chiddy Bang is not a mashup artist, Jones just released The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol. 1. His debut mix tape features mashups and mixes that are more eclectic than The Swelly Express.

Rating:  3.75/4 stars

Release Date:  October 29  (Free download of The Swelly Express available at http://www.myspace.com/chiddybang)

Label:  Unsigned

Production:  Xaphoon Jones

(Free download of The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol.1 available at http://www.prettymuchamazing.com/music/pma-presents-the-xaphoon-jones-mixtape-vol-1)

Ben Wexler

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...