A Bookworm’s Haven

Patrons at a past Strreet Fair at the Book Fair International Day 6. Photo by Alberto E. Tamargo Courtesy of Miami Book Fair

The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair’s International Street Fair will begin Friday and run until Sunday. The street fair includes over 250 publishers and booksellers, author sessions, special events and a plethora of book genres.

Booksellers from all over the country flock to Miami to set up tents along the streets of the Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus to provide bookworms the opportunity to explore and discover both new and classic authors. The Street Fair also features niche showcases catered to young readers (Children’s Alley), the comic book lover (Comix Galaxy) and those searching for rare finds (Antiquarian Annex).

Senior Stephanie Bigby, who had never heard of the festival, believes that it is a great idea.

“I used to love to read when I was younger and, if I had more time to read, I would love to go. It is good just to expand our horizons,” she said.

One of the highlights of the entire book fair is the Festival of Authors, which began last Sunday and will continue until this coming Sunday. Authors such as Tim Dorsey, Dan Goldman and former senator Bob Graham will discuss their latest works at sessions held at the Wolfson Campus. Ralph Nader will be holding a session Sunday at 10 a.m. to discuss his latest novel Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us. This event is free, but tickets are required and can be reserved online.

Rodrigo Castro, access service manager for the Otto G. Richter Library at UM, attended the fair and the Salman Rushdie author session last year and was impressed.

“It was very complete. There were a lot of good authors. It is important to have these types of events in South Florida,” he said.

The Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors are sure to provide a unique literary experience that will enable readers of all interests to enjoy the works of countless authors.

For more information about the Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors visit www.miamibookfair.com.

If you go:

What: The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair International Street Fair

Where: Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Downtown Miami.

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Cost: Fair admission is free on Friday, Nov. 13. Admission for Saturday and Sunday is $8 and author sessions are $10.

Parking: Limited free parking is available at the Miami Dade College Parking Garage (Building 7) which is located at 500 NE 2nd Avenue.

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...