A Bookworm’s Haven

Patrons at a past Strreet Fair at the Book Fair International Day 6. Photo by Alberto E. Tamargo Courtesy of Miami Book Fair

The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair’s International Street Fair will begin Friday and run until Sunday. The street fair includes over 250 publishers and booksellers, author sessions, special events and a plethora of book genres.

Booksellers from all over the country flock to Miami to set up tents along the streets of the Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus to provide bookworms the opportunity to explore and discover both new and classic authors. The Street Fair also features niche showcases catered to young readers (Children’s Alley), the comic book lover (Comix Galaxy) and those searching for rare finds (Antiquarian Annex).

Senior Stephanie Bigby, who had never heard of the festival, believes that it is a great idea.

“I used to love to read when I was younger and, if I had more time to read, I would love to go. It is good just to expand our horizons,” she said.

One of the highlights of the entire book fair is the Festival of Authors, which began last Sunday and will continue until this coming Sunday. Authors such as Tim Dorsey, Dan Goldman and former senator Bob Graham will discuss their latest works at sessions held at the Wolfson Campus. Ralph Nader will be holding a session Sunday at 10 a.m. to discuss his latest novel Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us. This event is free, but tickets are required and can be reserved online.

Rodrigo Castro, access service manager for the Otto G. Richter Library at UM, attended the fair and the Salman Rushdie author session last year and was impressed.

“It was very complete. There were a lot of good authors. It is important to have these types of events in South Florida,” he said.

The Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors are sure to provide a unique literary experience that will enable readers of all interests to enjoy the works of countless authors.

For more information about the Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors visit www.miamibookfair.com.

If you go:

What: The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair International Street Fair

Where: Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Downtown Miami.

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Cost: Fair admission is free on Friday, Nov. 13. Admission for Saturday and Sunday is $8 and author sessions are $10.

Parking: Limited free parking is available at the Miami Dade College Parking Garage (Building 7) which is located at 500 NE 2nd Avenue.

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...