A Bookworm’s Haven

Patrons at a past Strreet Fair at the Book Fair International Day 6. Photo by Alberto E. Tamargo Courtesy of Miami Book Fair

The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair’s International Street Fair will begin Friday and run until Sunday. The street fair includes over 250 publishers and booksellers, author sessions, special events and a plethora of book genres.

Booksellers from all over the country flock to Miami to set up tents along the streets of the Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus to provide bookworms the opportunity to explore and discover both new and classic authors. The Street Fair also features niche showcases catered to young readers (Children’s Alley), the comic book lover (Comix Galaxy) and those searching for rare finds (Antiquarian Annex).

Senior Stephanie Bigby, who had never heard of the festival, believes that it is a great idea.

“I used to love to read when I was younger and, if I had more time to read, I would love to go. It is good just to expand our horizons,” she said.

One of the highlights of the entire book fair is the Festival of Authors, which began last Sunday and will continue until this coming Sunday. Authors such as Tim Dorsey, Dan Goldman and former senator Bob Graham will discuss their latest works at sessions held at the Wolfson Campus. Ralph Nader will be holding a session Sunday at 10 a.m. to discuss his latest novel Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us. This event is free, but tickets are required and can be reserved online.

Rodrigo Castro, access service manager for the Otto G. Richter Library at UM, attended the fair and the Salman Rushdie author session last year and was impressed.

“It was very complete. There were a lot of good authors. It is important to have these types of events in South Florida,” he said.

The Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors are sure to provide a unique literary experience that will enable readers of all interests to enjoy the works of countless authors.

For more information about the Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors visit www.miamibookfair.com.

If you go:

What: The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair International Street Fair

Where: Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Downtown Miami.

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Cost: Fair admission is free on Friday, Nov. 13. Admission for Saturday and Sunday is $8 and author sessions are $10.

Parking: Limited free parking is available at the Miami Dade College Parking Garage (Building 7) which is located at 500 NE 2nd Avenue.

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...