A Bookworm’s Haven

Patrons at a past Strreet Fair at the Book Fair International Day 6. Photo by Alberto E. Tamargo Courtesy of Miami Book Fair

The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair’s International Street Fair will begin Friday and run until Sunday. The street fair includes over 250 publishers and booksellers, author sessions, special events and a plethora of book genres.

Booksellers from all over the country flock to Miami to set up tents along the streets of the Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus to provide bookworms the opportunity to explore and discover both new and classic authors. The Street Fair also features niche showcases catered to young readers (Children’s Alley), the comic book lover (Comix Galaxy) and those searching for rare finds (Antiquarian Annex).

Senior Stephanie Bigby, who had never heard of the festival, believes that it is a great idea.

“I used to love to read when I was younger and, if I had more time to read, I would love to go. It is good just to expand our horizons,” she said.

One of the highlights of the entire book fair is the Festival of Authors, which began last Sunday and will continue until this coming Sunday. Authors such as Tim Dorsey, Dan Goldman and former senator Bob Graham will discuss their latest works at sessions held at the Wolfson Campus. Ralph Nader will be holding a session Sunday at 10 a.m. to discuss his latest novel Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us. This event is free, but tickets are required and can be reserved online.

Rodrigo Castro, access service manager for the Otto G. Richter Library at UM, attended the fair and the Salman Rushdie author session last year and was impressed.

“It was very complete. There were a lot of good authors. It is important to have these types of events in South Florida,” he said.

The Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors are sure to provide a unique literary experience that will enable readers of all interests to enjoy the works of countless authors.

For more information about the Miami Book Fair International Street Fair and the Festival of Authors visit www.miamibookfair.com.

If you go:

What: The 26th Annual Miami Book Fair International Street Fair

Where: Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Downtown Miami.

Time: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Cost: Fair admission is free on Friday, Nov. 13. Admission for Saturday and Sunday is $8 and author sessions are $10.

Parking: Limited free parking is available at the Miami Dade College Parking Garage (Building 7) which is located at 500 NE 2nd Avenue.

Authors

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...