Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu claimed the consolation prize at the ITA National Indoor Championships at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Conn., at host Yale University. Vallverdu, ranked sixth nationally, defeated No.13 Reka Zsilinszka of Duke University 6-4, 6-4.

and sophomore Gabriela Mejia fell in doubles. This is the first time they paired together during the fall. Vallverdu and Mejia fell to a 9-1 record on the year after a comeback victory by the University of Tennessee’s duo defeated Miami 2-6, 6-3, and 6-4. The Volunteers entered the tournament ranked seventh in the nation.

In singles play, Vallverdu improved to 9-5 after taking two wins from the consolation draw. She defeated Armstrong Atlantic’s Sona Novakova in the quarterfinals and then beat Florida State’s No.24 Noemie Scharle.

Additionally, freshman Danielle Mills and sophomore Anna Bartenstein concluded the Florida State University Seminole Invitational at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Fla., with third-place finishes. Bartenstein routed the University of Denver’s Sophia Bergner by 6-1, 6-0.

Mills won third place in the Silver Bracket of the tournament for singles. She beat Furman University’s Jennifer Betts by 6-0, 6-2.

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes destroyed cross-town foes Barry University 75-42 in an exhibition on Saturday at the BankUnited Center. Sophomore Shenise Johnson and senior Diane Barnes both posted double-doubles in the win.

Sophomore Sylvia Bullock, the captain of the team, scored 10 points to go with her 5 of 7 shooting.

Baseball

On Monday, the Third Annual Orange-Green Fall World Series will begin at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. It is a tournament based on best-of-three games between the defending champion Orange team and the Green team; both comprised of current Hurricanes baseball players. Each of the two squads will feature All-ACC performers: juniors Chris Hernandez and Yasmani Grandal for the Orange team, and junior Eric Erickson and senior Scott Lawson for the Green team.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...