Dear V

Dear V: I’m caught in between indoor and outdoor plumbing…

I’m in a very complicated situation. I am married but am still friends with my ex-girlfriend. My husband and I recently had a really bad fight, which resulted in him ending our relationship. A separation, I guess, since we’re married; it’s not just merely a break-up. But he told me I was single and could do as I please. That night I ended up making out with my ex, and it was extremely nice. It seems that we have feelings for each other, and I have feelings for both her and my husband.

What do I do?

Sincerely,
Too Much Love

Dear Too Much,

There is right, and there is wrong.  And then there is this nasty little gray area, in which we know what we’re doing isn’t technically “wrong,” but it sure doesn’t feel right either. Unfortunately, we fall into this area way too often.

Sure. Your husband told you to “do as you please,” and you did. But you are still married, so now you are conflicted.

I don’t know what this fight was about, but I will have to take your word that it was bad enough (according to your husband) to transcend the “for better or worse” clause of your wedding vows. While I can’t tell you how to handle things with your husband, I’d suggest trying to save your marriage before leaving it.

Is your husband willing to try taking on your conflicts in couples therapy? Are you?

But until you reach any resolution, do not complicate your already-derailed love life by acquiring new (or old) lovers. What you are experiencing with your husband is stressful and taxing on every aspect of your life. You need to take care of yourself. You don’t need the extra confusion and emotional entanglements.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...