‘An Education’ stunning, unsentimental

An Education could have easily fallen into all the trappings of a typical coming-of-age story: “Girl falls for older man, girl drops out of school, girl nearly sabotages college” is about as cliché as it gets. However, An Education, directed by Lone Scherfig, manages to avoid being formulaic, and is instead a beautifully realized, unsentimental look at one girl’s emotional education.

Set in 1960s London just before the mod years started, An Education is the story of Jenny, a brilliant 16 year old with her sights set on Oxford, if only to appease her parents. She meets David, a playboy in his early 30s, and is swept into his decadent world. What comes next never feels contrived or forced, thanks to Nick Hornby’s sparse, engrossing script.

What drives An Education is not the direction or the writing, but rather a tour de force star turn by Carey Mulligan. Mulligan, an actress best known for her minor role in Pride and Prejudice, gives Jenny an immense amount of depth, and, simply put, is a revelation.

Peter Sarsgaard is enigmatic, sleazy and wholly charming as David, the older man who seduces Jenny with entry into his posh life. Dominic Cooper and Rosamund Pike are also excellent as David’s business partner and his girlfriend, and Emma Thompson – always a delight – manages to steal the film with her few brief scenes as Jenny’s headmistress.

An Education is not perfect – having to deal with a potentially cliché topic is never easy – yet, the film is a wild success because of its astonishingly talented leading lady.

RATING: 4 stars

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard

Directed By: Lone Scherfig

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...